C
Crumpy
Guest
WOW, 19 posts to introduce the readings for the Sunday, 2/27/11.
This is all too overwhelming for me to absorb. For me, it comes down to the last verse of the gospel, about worrying just about today.
The man was right, “all” we have is today. We are SO told to worry about tomorrow and thereafter. Jesus focuses on the “eternal” today. No matter where we are, it is always today.
But, what are we to focus on? everything! The Jews reckon that there are 613 different commands in the Old Testament that God had spoken to them. Their strategy is to study them, of course, for an entire lifetime – to be so absorbed in them that it is a) a source of joy to obey them, the do’s and the don’ts and b) a blessing to actually perform them.
The “world” pressures us to reject Christianity and the Church, for its own selfish motives. If we lived the evangelical minimalism, most of the ships from the Far East to the docks on the West Coast of the U.S. would have to turn back with their goods. We wouldn’t need them. What a worldwide depression that economic impact would have. It’s not to say that this is impossible, but how do we actually do this?
I don’t use facebook, twitter, ebay, craigslist, a blackberry or anything new and 4G in telephones whoops cell phones. In Michigan, I don’t need to take advantage of the new law that allows sales of liquor on Sunday mornings. I don’t need a permit for a concealed weapon.
I still have the top seven electronic devices that were mentioned about ten years ago in some poll: television, vcr, telephone, fax machine, microwave oven, telephone answering machine, and computer. How did I so easily fall into that trap of materialism?
This is all too overwhelming for me to absorb. For me, it comes down to the last verse of the gospel, about worrying just about today.
The man was right, “all” we have is today. We are SO told to worry about tomorrow and thereafter. Jesus focuses on the “eternal” today. No matter where we are, it is always today.
But, what are we to focus on? everything! The Jews reckon that there are 613 different commands in the Old Testament that God had spoken to them. Their strategy is to study them, of course, for an entire lifetime – to be so absorbed in them that it is a) a source of joy to obey them, the do’s and the don’ts and b) a blessing to actually perform them.
The “world” pressures us to reject Christianity and the Church, for its own selfish motives. If we lived the evangelical minimalism, most of the ships from the Far East to the docks on the West Coast of the U.S. would have to turn back with their goods. We wouldn’t need them. What a worldwide depression that economic impact would have. It’s not to say that this is impossible, but how do we actually do this?
I don’t use facebook, twitter, ebay, craigslist, a blackberry or anything new and 4G in telephones whoops cell phones. In Michigan, I don’t need to take advantage of the new law that allows sales of liquor on Sunday mornings. I don’t need a permit for a concealed weapon.
I still have the top seven electronic devices that were mentioned about ten years ago in some poll: television, vcr, telephone, fax machine, microwave oven, telephone answering machine, and computer. How did I so easily fall into that trap of materialism?