Study Guides on Providentissimus Deus & Humani Generis

  • Thread starter Thread starter Apollos
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Apollos

Guest
I am putting together a Creation vs. Evolution packet for my Biology students (Catholic school, 8th grade/15yo). Two of the selections are extended passages from Providentissimus Deus and Humani Generis that focus on topics ranging from the proper approach to scripture when it appears to conflict with science, to the proper limits of science and theology and their overlapping domains. Along with the packet I want to include simple questions on each paragraph to help them understand the sometimes difficult language. I need help coming up with easy questions to pose. Does anyone know of any online study guides on either of these documents that may help me develop suitable reading-comprehension questions?
 
One search strategy you might try is to search various speakers and include Humani Generis. I found a mention by Father Corapi in an interview, and I’m sure I’ve heard it discussed on one of his many CDs.For example, here’s an MP3 page I found by a priest on the topic.
 
I am putting together a Creation vs. Evolution packet for my Biology students (Catholic school, 8th grade/15yo). Two of the selections are extended passages from Providentissimus Deus and Humani Generis that focus on topics ranging from the proper approach to scripture when it appears to conflict with science, to the proper limits of science and theology and their overlapping domains. Along with the packet I want to include simple questions on each paragraph to help them understand the sometimes difficult language. I need help coming up with easy questions to pose. Does anyone know of any online study guides on either of these documents that may help me develop suitable reading-comprehension questions?
How are you really presenting evolution?
What does your Biology text say?
What do the references in your text say?
What are your personal conclusions about evolution and its role in science?
Is “either - or” your intention for the packet?
What about “both - and”?
What kind of questions have your students asked in the past?

From your answers, I should be able to help you with questions which go to* Humani Generis* or to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition. I have not read *Providentissimus Deus. *However, I would read your selection if you give me an idea of how you want to relate it to biology.

Blessings,
granny

“The shepherds sing; and shall I silent be?”
from the poem “Christmas” by George Herbert

The “Twelve Days of Christmas” are meant to be celebrated.
 
I am putting together a Creation vs. Evolution packet for my Biology students (Catholic school, 8th grade/15yo). Two of the selections are extended passages from Providentissimus Deus and Humani Generis that focus on topics ranging from the proper approach to scripture when it appears to conflict with science, to the proper limits of science and theology and their overlapping domains. Along with the packet I want to include simple questions on each paragraph to help them understand the sometimes difficult language. I need help coming up with easy questions to pose. Does anyone know of any online study guides on either of these documents that may help me develop suitable reading-comprehension questions?
Out of respect for this forum’s ban on evolution discussions,
I would say in general that one should start with the information in the science textbook. What questions pop out? Ask yourself how the Catholic Church answers them in general? Then find the answers in the two documents. However, I strongly suggest that you refer to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition especially when it comes to human nature and its origin.

Once you, yourself, have found the answers to obvious questions, then formulate your questions in the lingo of your students. You might consider asking a question which includes answers from both science and Catholicism. While there are two different realms of inquiry, they do work together.

Since there is a difference between Fundamentalist Creationism and Catholicism,
I would suggest changing the title of your packet.

Blessings,
granny

The human person is worthy of profound respect from the moment of conception.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top