Study on Modernism

Status
Not open for further replies.

porthos11

I’m interested in finding out how rampant modernism is being taught in so-called Catholic institutions. I may have to visit classrooms and observe the lectures.

What should I look out for in such lectures that can be considered “modernist”? What are the identifying marks?

Thanks for any help.

Code:
40.png
porthos11:
I’m interested in finding out how rampant modernism is being taught in so-called Catholic institutions. I may have to visit classrooms and observe the lectures.

What should I look out for in such lectures that can be considered “modernist”? What are the identifying marks?

Thanks for any help.
It is indeed rampant but not just in Catholic institutions of learning but at most chancery offices across this country and at the USCCB, and even at the Vatican among some church officials. Poor St. Pius X. He thought he got rid of it with Pascendi Dominici Gregis and it reared its ugly head 40 years ago under the name “the spirit of Vatican II.” It’s still alive and well in our Church but today you’ll find it in dissident circles and in progressive circles.

Antonio 😦

Modernism is a highly complex and sophisticated movement that infests not only the Catholic church but other denominations as well. As such, it is perhaps the most dangerous and insidious heresy in the entire history of the Church, mainly because it hides inside/underneath our churches and schools, and its adherents are diverse, some of whom are clergymen and theologians.

Here is a very good and highly readable article on Modernism:
Click HERE

For a comprehensive and highly detailed description of Modernism, you can read Pius X’s Pascendi Dominici Gregis.

Gerry 🙂

Code:
40.png
RobedWithLight:
Modernism is a highly complex and sophisticated movement that infests not only the Catholic church but other denominations as well. As such, it is perhaps the most dangerous and insidious heresy in the entire history of the Church, mainly because it hides inside/underneath our churches and schools, and its adherents are diverse, some of whom are clergymen and theologians.

Here is a very good and highly readable article on Modernism:
Click HERE

For a comprehensive and highly detailed description of Modernism, you can read Pius X’s Pascendi Dominici Gregis.

Gerry 🙂
Since I teach church history, I know that the Church condemned heresies long ago that have come back to haunt us, They are still here, alive and well but simply with new labels! Modernism has been with us before and St. Pius X tried to wipe it out.

Antonio 😦

You have to develop your catholic sense, and how to do that and how to share it with others is the very question. Some identifying marks include radical egalitarianism, society as model, reducing the monarchical character of the Church, making elements of the Faith immanent and charismatic rather than sacred, any kind of statement to the effect that “we don’t do that anymore”, hints of an invisible Church that is larger than the Holy Roman Catholic Church, obsequious-seeming interest in the theories of various religions, democratization within the Church, a lack of interest in converting non-believers (hint: look to see if people of other religions are brought in to be interviewed, give opinions–what are they really doing there, if they are not converting?), total failure to identify and point out the problems in the world such as complete collapse of modesty and chastity, almost total lack of quotes from any pre-1960 Pope, a tendency to argue in ways altogether similar to those a humanist or atheist may argue especially in relation to assumed philosophies or ideals, an emphasis on the quotidian rather than the heroic or the theologically significant characteristics of Mary Ever Virgin or other figures in our holy religion (such as praising Mary for standing for three hours at the foot of the Cross–‘such energy!’-- or praising Our Lord for being ‘open’ to people), references to modernist theologians (develop a list in your mind), faint praise or criticism of dead Catholics including especially anything about their piety, a failure to comment negatively on divorce-contraception-abortion-homosexuality, and sanguine enthusiasm for “the spirit of Vatican II” or “ecumenism”. I could go on… Basically you should read good books about these subjects, and be prepared with key concepts in mind.

You don’t have to even look at the classrooms or the parishes. Visit the various parish, school, etc. website. You’ll be surprised with what you see.

For example, today I was looking at my local parish’s (where I have attend Mass there ONCE in my entire life) website and they had an article up defending homosexual priests! My the time you read the article you would think that homosexuality is even cleanier than being normal. Link; stcharlesorlando.catholicweb.com/index.cfm/NewsItem?ID=553&From=Home&partnerarticle=1

Antonio B:
Code:
Since I teach church history, I know that the Church condemned heresies long ago that have come back to haunt us, They are still here, alive and well but simply with new labels! Modernism has been with us before and St. Pius X tried to wipe it out.

Antonio 😦
Right. Like unwanted hair that keeps growing back. Heresy is truly difficult to stamp out for good, because they come back with new innocent-looking names, with its own generation of innocent-looking advocates.

We must be watchful and prayerful.

Gerry

Code:
40.png
RobedWithLight:
Right. Like unwanted hair that keeps growing back. Heresy is truly difficult to stamp out for good, because they come back with new innocent-looking names, with its own generation of innocent-looking advocates.

We must be watchful and prayerful.

Gerry
Although what my daughter told me during Mass today has very little to do with Modernism, I thought it was interesting that a 26 young lady detected what I always did detect even though she never experienced the Tridentine Mass. After the “Our Father” was sung, she turned to me and said, “Daddy, why does the Our Father has to be a Broadway Production?” I smiled and said, “it doesn’t have to be!” I’m sure Modernists think they are reaching young people with such performances, but I don’t buy it one bit.

Antonio 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back