A
Ariobarzanes
Guest
I have theories of my own. I will share them. But first, I would like to get some feedback on this issue: Why were Omri and Ahab, such successful military and political leaders, but so chastised for the permitting Ba’al / other gods to be worshiped within Israel. Firstly, why would God grant victory over Damascus, Philistia, and later and much more importantly against initial invasions by Assyria? Ahab was a smart guy. Despite Jezebel’s awful behavior, being married to her ensured good relations with Tyre and allowed a significant number military equipment and troops to be imported for the confrontation at Qarqar. After Ahab Israel declined significantly (because of Ahab’s sins), the Levantine league still stopped several invasions after Qarqar. I am about to make an argument from silence, and from a remark from Jesus. It does rain on the just and unjust alike, in all circumstances, history has proven this. Success does not mean that it was granted by God, though that does not mean God does not grant success, for he certainly does. I know that from personal experience. My second argument, comes from God’s actions after Saul fell out of favor. God continued to grant Saul military victories, for this reason. God would not forsake Israel’s people because of Saul’s sins. I would also like to suggest the possibility that the battle of Qarqar happened before Ahab “caused Israel to sin.” But I have no evidence of this. Jehu, who had every member of Ahab’s family executed, “did what was pleasing to God”, but he was politically inept, because he offered tribute and de facto vassalage in exchange for Assyrian support against Damascus. This worked, briefly, but had officially opened the door to Assyrian conquest of Israel. It could be that Jehu was desperate, in a similar fashion as king Saul, for some form of help. Because God would not give it to Jehu,(I assume because the Bible implies that Jehu eventually continued the Henotheist policies of Ahab, or actually worshipped other gods himself), Jehu turned to worldly, although not sinful(Necromancy by the Witch of Endor), methods for salvation. What do any of you think? I am particularly interested in (name removed by moderator)ut from the Catholic Answers staff, since they have spent much time studying the Bible.
It is also possible, that Jehu, failing to keep Israel’s alliances provoked Damascus into seizing territory, because the king of Damascus saw the opportunity to strike. This then, prompted Jehu to request Assyrian assistance, that actually failed because Tyre, Damascus, and Judah stopped the invasions without Israel’s help. As for Ahab’s success, he reigned for a long time. The Bible does not describe his rule in any detail and provides almost no information on it. It is possible that Ahab “did what was pleasing to the LORD” many times, as well as “displeasing the LORD”.
It is also possible, that Jehu, failing to keep Israel’s alliances provoked Damascus into seizing territory, because the king of Damascus saw the opportunity to strike. This then, prompted Jehu to request Assyrian assistance, that actually failed because Tyre, Damascus, and Judah stopped the invasions without Israel’s help. As for Ahab’s success, he reigned for a long time. The Bible does not describe his rule in any detail and provides almost no information on it. It is possible that Ahab “did what was pleasing to the LORD” many times, as well as “displeasing the LORD”.