Such a thing as a 'virtual spiritual director'?

• Thread starter Thread starter JoyToBeCatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoyToBeCatholic

Merry Christmas everyone!

I have been in need of a spiritual director for quite some time now. Many years have passed since I was told I should seek one, but every year it gets harder and harder for me to even look for someone.

I know that one cannot receive the sacrament of Reconciliation via internet or phone; it must be done in person, as must all sacraments, but is it possible to receive spiritual direction in such a way?

Thank You,
~donna

It’s certainly been done:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Chapman_OSB

Google for the following and you’ll find lots of information:

spiritual direction letters

Finding a contemporary who does this might be possible if you write letters of inquiry to religious congregations. You might want to actually begin by contacting the chancery in your diocese and ask about it in the appropriate department.

I’m looking for a spiritual director, too, but I haven’t given up on finding someone to meet with in person.

I’d like my spiritual director to also be a psychotherapist, so that’s not so easy to find.

You might also want to check out what books you can find on amazon.com, for example, about spiritual direction and write to the authors of those books, who may be able to provide further information.

Ooh. Check this out:

Spiritual Directors International

sdiworld.org/index.pl/home.html

It’s got a “Find a Spiritual Director” link and pages to help you connect with someone by e-mail to ask questions and so forth.

I recommend you look up and see if Opus Dei is nearby- Fantastic spiritual directors- I’ve been seeing them since 1989.

You can do a short course on this link for free- cukierski.net/free.html

Excellent! Thanks so much! I will definately pursue those. I’m not sure there is an Opus Dei around, but if it doesn’t need to be in person, it may not matter.

God Bless!
~donna

Yes, I live in Mass too - but nearer New Bedford/Brockton area. I will contact them though and see if they will do direction via internet, phone or mail.

Thank You!
~donna

Hi, You can contact Opus DEi on the following link. If they are nearby I know they would love to offer you spiritual direction-

opusdei.org/
40.png
JoyToBeCatholic:
Excellent! Thanks so much! I will definately pursue those. I’m not sure there is an Opus Dei around, but if it doesn’t need to be in person, it may not matter.

God Bless!
~donna

40.png
JoyToBeCatholic:
I know that one cannot receive the sacrament of Reconciliation via internet or phone; it must be done in person, as must all sacraments, but is it possible to receive spiritual direction in such a way?
Yes, I’ve got to know some acquaintances who received direction over the phone or by mail. So I guess that via e-mail, private chat room or NetMeeting would be OK too.

However, contradicting what some have recommended here, never consider a non-Catholic director. Your faith is a gift too precious to expose it to perils.

I can’t imagine getting a well-informed response from a non-Catholic director when Catholic spirituality involves living a moral life, which others, Christians or not, do not agree with the bar set by the Church.

I’d also add to consider a priest as a spiritual director, as he can then also be your confessor. 😉

:blessyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back