Suffering and trials

• Thread starter Thread starter Munda_cor_meum
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Munda_cor_meum

One common theme I have found among the writings of the saints is that we should welcome suffering. Well, perhaps welcome is too strong a word. We should at least recognize that suffering and trials are God’s way of purifying us. Of preparing us for the Beatific Vision.

I have no problem with this attitude but … I’m not suffering - really. When I look back, I realize that my life has, so far, been a cake walk. Sure, every day I have to put up with petty and trivial annoyances but that’s just what they are - petty and trivial.

I am not independently wealthy, sometimes my paycheck does not stretch as far as I’d like it too, but I have always had enough food and adequate shelter.

Even the death of my father was quick and merciful and, in an odd way, peaceful.

Given all that, I find myself asking “What’s up?” Who am I to deserve such blessing? Certainly it could not be that I do not need correction and instruction. Alternatively, I cannot accept that God has “given up” and that I am a hopeless cause so any suffering would just be cruel.

So, what am I to think? Should I take the advice of my old crusty Senior Chief and just “shut up and be grateful for your good fortune”.

Munda cor meum:
One common theme I have found among the writings of the saints is that we should welcome suffering. Well, perhaps welcome is too strong a word. We should at least recognize that suffering and trials are God’s way of purifying us. Of preparing us for the Beatific Vision.

I have no problem with this attitude but … I’m not suffering - really. When I look back, I realize that my life has, so far, been a cake walk. Sure, every day I have to put up with petty and trivial annoyances but that’s just what they are - petty and trivial.

I am not independently wealthy, sometimes my paycheck does not stretch as far as I’d like it too, but I have always had enough food and adequate shelter.

Even the death of my father was quick and merciful and, in an odd way, peaceful.

Given all that, I find myself asking “What’s up?” Who am I to deserve such blessing? Certainly it could not be that I do not need correction and instruction. Alternatively, I cannot accept that God has “given up” and that I am a hopeless cause so any suffering would just be cruel.

So, what am I to think? Should I take the advice of my old crusty Senior Chief and just “shut up and be grateful for your good fortune”.
I read this description of an attitude in regards of suffering christians, it strengthens me when I meet suffering.

The saints rejoiced when persecuted knowing that forgiving brought power to their prayers.

sounds like maybe you are called to suffer. I would ask the Lord in prayer if that is what He wants of you.

I was at a communion service awhile back and someone offered a prayer intention/request for all those suffering.

I thought for a bit and kept quiet…my speech is almost incoherent (physical problem). I thought though why shouldn’t we pray for all those without suffering in their lives. How will they be allowed or have they lost the opportuinity to take up their cross daily and follow Him.

Ya know if ya take this faith stuff seriously, wellllllll ya can look pretty goofy at times…especially by normal secular standards.

Rejoice in your suffering…“offer it up,” sister used to say. Prugatory may begin a bit earler for some than others…a good sign none the less if heaven is your goal.

Coherent or incoherently yours

Dear friend

You can only make a final analysis of your life at the end, when you have died and are before the Lord. In other words, it’s not over until the ‘fat lady sings’ as the old saying goes. So far your life has been blessed, but you know loss, you have lost your father and you have coped well with this.

Acceptance…This is the key to any suffering, accepting it in love of our Lord and Truine God is what He seeks, that we trust Him in suffering and in blessings.

You seem to have accepted the trial of losing your father and that dear friend is the key.

So although we have the benefit of hindsight to the past of our lives, we do not know the future part of our lives, indeed even if there is one. Live for today, deal with just today. You only have today. Don’t think or even worry about tomorrow. We only have today. Jesus said ‘Today’s worries are sufficient’. It is as important to deal well, in love of God, with the little annoyances and trials in life as it is to deal with the larger ones…remember the ‘Little Way’ of St Therese of Liseux. Every word spoken, every small task, everything we do, say and think matters.

Don’t worry about the final analysis, trust in God, He had you in mind before all of creation and He will not fail you and that He loves you more than you can ever ever ever imagine, He loves you eternally.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back