Suggestions for Floor Plans for a large family

  • Thread starter Thread starter MomaMary8
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
]

Very wise advice! Thank Manualman

You are so right about the washer and dryer expense! I may have a plumber add the hook-up for a second washer, but the washer can wait for another day. For now I manage on my X-tra large front load washer, and my cheap old-fashion, non-matching dryer. My laundry room is a work room and doesn’t need to look fancy. I need it functional. I use up 1/4 of my basement for the laundry area and really just need to add a new table (I’ll try and pick one up at a garage sale) and I need to fix my indoor clothes line. DH rigged a 4-line clothes line to hang the odds and end that need to be lined dryed, but I put more on the lines than he anticipated, so it needs to be firmed up to hold the weight of all the clothes I’d like to hang.

We are looking into a tankless water heater, but wonder how it handles in cold weather. I’ve heard that tankless systems do not work well in frigid regions, as the water is so cold when it enter the pipes, and the heating system only heats it so much. I need to investigate if this is true or not. If anyone from a northern area has info on them, I’d love to hear your experience.

And you are right, our garage holds the bikes, baseball equipment, snowblower, lawnmowers (we have 3 as we have an acre to mow!), etc. The cars get parked outside. Poor dh hasn’t seen his workbench in a long time. 😊

Do you know how hard it is to buy non-stainless, and get the extra large capacity for kitchen appliances?? The choices are very limited! We had to replace our dishwasher last year and had a choice of two that were in the off-white color that matches our kitchen. I don’t like black as that makes my little kitchen seem even smaller.

We plan on using our same appliances as they are all less than 10 yrs old and can be replaced as we need them.

DH is great with electricity, so we can have him do a lot of the electical work. It would save him a lot of time and effort if the lines are pre-run to appropriate areas. We may have to add a new fuse box. He’ll have to look into that, as the electric co doesn’t like homeoners messing with those!

Thank you Truly for the link. I will check that out!

Annie, thank you for the color coded sheets idea. That will cure many headaches, as my old system in the closets is no longer working with our tight space.
 
Yes to all of this. Although, I do have to say that our laminate is holding up beautifully. We’ve had it a couple of years now and there isn’t a mark or chip and my kids play hard and are messy. Toss our big old dog into the mix and I’d have to say the laminate was worth it.
Also, our bunk beds have a trundle in the bottom. It slides in and out as needed. So far ( where’s the knock on wood smiley face) no one has been closed into the bed…but I’m sure someone will think of that at some point!!
I’d love to add on to our house, but that’s not going to happen. DH says with what I want to do, it would be cheaper to move:blush: We really do love our home, but when we built it we had one child and were not sure if we would be able to have more…fast forward 8 years and we just had our 4th baby. And within the year my father will be moving in with us:eek: We have been getting rid of a ton of junk! The less stuff you have, the more living space you get! Make sure you are adding on for things you really need and get rid of the rest!
Our laundry is right off the kitchen. I love having it right there so I can keep up on it, but it’s not very big. About the size of a small walk in closet and I have my pantry in there as well. DH hung shelves all the way around the room for extra storage. It also gives me a place to hang up clothes as I take them out of the dryer. If I had the room I’d get a second dryer. Laundry would be done in no time!
Oh it’s fun to dream. A bigger dining room, more counter space in the kitchen, another bathroom, a craft room…
lol I really do prefer our sheet linoleum. Manualman is right about the abuse our floor goes through. Everything we buy has a shortened life expectancy, simply because of the amount of use it goes through. The bigger the boys get, the harder they are on my things. They aren’t careless…they’re just harder on things with their normal way of doing things… 🤷

There is no way I could function with a laundry room off of the kitchen! I would go insane. LOL I’d have to add on an extra 1,000 square feet to put the laundry room on the main floor. BTW I do an average of 5 loads a day, just so I can do only 7-8 on Saturday and have a break on Sunday…:o When I’m old, and my hips need to be replace, I’ll move the washer up or sell the home. Until then, I get a bit of exercise doing laundry 😉
 
Great point on the laundry. The extra large front loaders spin at 1,000+ rpm on final. The matching dryers are nothing special and a cheapo 7 CF gas dryer for half the price will dry just as fast, just doesn’t look as good. That’s precisely what we did when we moved. Also, wherever you put laundry, make sure the dryer exhaust doesn’t have a long run or too many bends. Those that do end up clogged, slow dry times and sometimes have FIRES in the vent near the dryer. Cheap dryer right on the outside wall can keep up with a front loader (ours anyways, which has a 45 min wash time). And you can train kids for laundry sanity. 1 towel per kid per week, just provide enough towel bars for them to spread out and dry. Back of bedroom doors is a good place for towel bars. PJ’s should be 1/week too. Jeans, sweatshirts and sweaters only should be washed when they flunk the look/sniff test or once/week whichever comes first. Do that and you’ll cut laundry in half.

Another way we saved a mint. Our builder wanted $900 to put faux pewter knobs on our kitchen cabinets. I laughed out loud. I bought them for $40 at Costco, built a jig from masonite to get consistant placement and installed them all in a Saturday. Tools needed: drill and screwdriver.

The tankless water heaters have problems if you have too much water demand at one time. Can’t have two showers, a dishwasher and laundry running at the same time. A good plumber will help you size it based on your needs. Size for at least three users at once.
 
Great point on the laundry. The extra large front loaders spin at 1,000+ rpm on final. The matching dryers are nothing special and a cheapo 7 CF gas dryer for half the price will dry just as fast, just doesn’t look as good. That’s precisely what we did when we moved. Also, wherever you put laundry, make sure the dryer exhaust doesn’t have a long run or too many bends. Those that do end up clogged, slow dry times and sometimes have FIRES in the vent near the dryer. Cheap dryer right on the outside wall can keep up with a front loader (ours anyways, which has a 45 min wash time). And you can train kids for laundry sanity. 1 towel per kid per week, just provide enough towel bars for them to spread out and dry. Back of bedroom doors is a good place for towel bars. PJ’s should be 1/week too. Jeans, sweatshirts and sweaters only should be washed when they flunk the look/sniff test or once/week whichever comes first. Do that and you’ll cut laundry in half.

Another way we saved a mint. Our builder wanted $900 to put faux pewter knobs on our kitchen cabinets. I laughed out loud. I bought them for $40 at Costco, built a jig from masonite to get consistant placement and installed them all in a Saturday. Tools needed: drill and screwdriver.

The tankless water heaters have problems if you have too much water demand at one time. Can’t have two showers, a dishwasher and laundry running at the same time. A good plumber will help you size it based on your needs. Size for at least three users at once.
One day my teenager came down and told my Dh “I finally realized, that if I want clean jeans, I should just wash them myself!” DH and I had a huge chuckle on that!! We quit asking for kids to bring me laundry to wash, and figure they knew how to wash their own if they wanted clean clothes. It sure did work!

I know I’m a bit of a nut when it comes to laundry. I’m picky on how things are washed, because I don’t want them ruining the clothes. We pass most clothes down, so I want them to be stain free and the original color for the next child.

Part of the bathroom over-haul will be hooks rather than towel bars. We’ll be able to hang more towels with hooks than with the 3 towel bars we currently have in the upstairs bath.

Currently our cabinets do not have handles! We like the “sleek” look as well as the price it came with! We may just stick with that. We also have a HOBO (home owners builders outlet) that sells the odd supply. You just never know what they’ll have, and have to grab it when you see it.

Thanks for the (name removed by moderator)ut on the tankless water heater. Can a home have 2 water heater tanks? 😉 🙂
 
Thanks for the (name removed by moderator)ut on the tankless water heater. Can a home have 2 water heater tanks? 😉 🙂
Sure, if you have room in the basement or utility room. In fact, a second hot water heater (tank type) can help reduce wasted water by locating hot water closer to end uses (eliminates that long run of water waiting for it to warm up).
 
Part of the bathroom over-haul will be hooks rather than towel bars. We’ll be able to hang more towels with hooks than with the 3 towel bars we currently have in the upstairs bath.
Just a note of caution on using towel hooks. That’s what I had but I found that in the damp wintertime the towels did not dry out and became a little mildewey if not washed every couple of days.
 
A friend of mine growing up had one huge room for the boys, they only had one girl and she lucked out with her own room, anyway they built 3/4 walls so each boy could have some of their own space, but in one big room.

Or you could do what another family did. They lived on a farm and had 9 boys and two girls. The girls shared a “real” bedroom and the boys just lined up beds in an unfinished basement with a shower head over a floor drain with a curtain. Those boys loved it!
 
AOr you could do what another family did. They lived on a farm and had 9 boys and two girls. The girls shared a “real” bedroom and the boys just lined up beds in an unfinished basement with a shower head over a floor drain with a curtain. Those boys loved it!
brilliant

if you have an older house that has a little room someplace you might want to reserve it for the oldest, and as each kid moves out, somebody else gets a chance for their own room (an earned privilege as well)
 
Manualman gave some excellent advice.👍

One thing I would do is go to some house design sites, they are mostly the same house designs just different sites. So the one site above should be all you really need to look at. I play Sims 2 and I go to them to get ideas for houses for my game.😃 Take a look at what they have, get some ideas. Then make a list of what you absolutely do not want.

Some of my not wants and wants includes:

master closet entry NOT inside the master bath. I want separate entries for bath and closet. There are times one spouse is in the bath when the other needs to get dressed. Also it seems to me that the humidity from the bath might end up migrating to the closet. Bad idea.

I do not like the openness of some house plans. I like my kitchens to be a little bit closed off. We tend to keep a messy kitchen and would prefer the guest not be exposed to that if we can help it.

Unlike PuzzleAnnie I like all my bedrooms on the same side of the house. I want to be able to hear my kids and be able to attend to them if they need me. I can’t really do that if the master is on the other end of the house.

I agree with Manualman about the ceilings. Those high ceilings are nothing but a big waste of space.
As far as appliances go we will be going with black when the time to replace them comes. They don’t show dirt near as bad as white and they are not fingerprint magnets like stainless steel.

Also, if I where building my dream home the exterior would be as maintenance free as possible, that means either brick or stone.
 
We intend to add rooms to our house within the next five years. We are going to add a family room with a half bath and master bedroom/bath. I’d also like to enlarge the kitchen, but I doubt it will happen.

Also, we don’t have a garage. My dh likes detached garages. What I’d like to do is add a detached garage with a small apartment on top, so when the kids go to college, if they choose community college, they can have a measure of independence. And, if they go away to college, they can have a summer apartment that doesn’t thrust them back into the rooms with five year olds.

Our house isn’t too flexible for remodelling since every wall is a support wall. And every ceiling is at a different height. It’s a 100 year old farm house that started as one room and then another was added, then another…I wish they would have added a couple more before we got it! It was my dh’s great grandparents house, then his great uncle and aunt, then my bil and his wife, now us. I think we are the only ones who actually had to buy it. They built it from scrap lumber, set it on the family farm, and handed it off to each other. We bought it at a reduced price from my bil, but he got it for free.
 
Our garage is detached, and I’d love to have it atttached, but would require some foundation work. We’ll see. That’s lower on the priority list as compared to room. I would just love a place to sit when the kids take the living room to watch a movie! 🙂

I find you get a lot of critters in a detached garage. It could just be the area we live in (lots of trees, so lots of critters). Just something to think about when doing your garage.

I knew a lady who had a home like yours. She had a date for each addition, and they were added room by room. It was actually pretty neat, as she kept the historical aspect of the house intact, and had documents about Jesse James stayin in one of the rooms 🙂
 
If you go with two big bedrooms, one for boys, one for the girls - each of those rooms has it’s own bathroom. . . . .
My cousins house was like this - two huge bedrooms with multiple bunk-beds in each.

The ‘boys’ bathroom was like a ‘walk-in gym’ bathroom - no door (Z-type entrance) all tiled, walk-in shower area multiple spigots and no curtain, urinals, floor drain, and water-hose connections for spraying it all down (cleaning)!

The girls had ‘conventional’ bathroom.

Back entrance so kiddos could come/go without disturbing the ‘civilized’ side of the house.

Kitchen had stainless-steel counters - 4 fridges.

always a fun place to visit!
 
Or you could do what another family did. They lived on a farm and had 9 boys and two girls. The girls shared a “real” bedroom and the boys just lined up beds in an unfinished basement with a shower head over a floor drain with a curtain. Those boys loved it!
I guess it was OK if the boys liked it, but to me, that sounds like prison accommodations!!
 
FYI, the only reason de-attached garages often have more rodents than attached ones is because the separate ones are typically built to a chintzier standard. Build your dettached garage with real footings and concrete perimeter walls, treated sill plates bolted to anchor bolts in the concrete, sheath it with good gage aluminum siding and seal up the doors, windows and overhead door and it will be every bit as rodent resistant as a regular house. But you DO need to keep your eyes open and react to issues that arise. Don’t let 'em get established is the key. Once they’re in, its hard to stop 'em from coming back in. They got those nasty little teeth…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top