Suggestions on a spiritual retreat?

• Thread starter Thread starter I_thirst_4_YOU
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I_thirst_4_YOU

I am entering the seminary in the winter and would like to go on retreat before heading in.

I was just wondering if any of you out there had any suggestions on your favorite retreat houses or get aways.

It can be anywhere in the country. I would prefer a holy, devout, spiritual place to set my heart on the path with Christ.

Thanks for you help.

I can highly recommend the Carmelite House of Prayer in Oakville, California (the Napa Valley wine country). This House of Prayer offers small group and private retreats. It is part of the Discalced Carmelite Friars presence in the western U.S… The location is beautiful and the friars in residence are wonderful priests and brothers.

Discalced Carmelite Friars
Mount Carmel
P.O. Box 347
Oakville CA 94562
U.S.A.
Tel. (707) 9442454 - 9442460
Fax (707) 9448533

This article will tell you a bit about the House and the Friars:

santarosacatholic.org/news/releases/carmelites.html

I would recommend Subiaco which is in Subiaco, AR. Its an absolutely beautiful place!!

You can go to their website:
www.subi.org

Lebh Shomea, Sarita Tex, retreat house on property donated to the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate by the owners of the Kennedy Ranch in deep south Texas on the gulf coast (Kennedy was King’s partner in the ranching business). Silence is the rule, you can stay a weekend, week, or even a year, there are dedicated hermits living on the property in cabins, and religious on sabbatical. They also have a fantastic theology library.

the new Benedictine Monastery in El Sauz TX (Rio Grande City) Starr County is now accepting groups for retreats, and can house men in a guest house. Both of these places offer a real desert experience.

Not knowing where you are, I have a couple of suggestions which may or may not be helpful (dep. upon your location).

In St. Francis, MN, which is about 45 min Northwest of Minneapolis, there is a retreat center called “Pachem en Terra”. It consists of small hermitages and is set on several acres of wooded MN land. They do provide a Bible, and there is a large window and a carmelite cross.

They provide a basket of food each morning…bread, fruit, etc. Very basic, and they request a $40 donation for each night.

They recommend at least 2 nights and 1 full day. I have been hoping to make this retreat at some point. You can find them on the web…try a google search or go to
www.thecatholicspirit.org click on the link for “retreats” and it should be there.

They do have people available for spiritual direction if needed, and as I understand it they are very orthodox.

I have a friend who goes to a nearby Jesuit retreat center in Demontreville, MN, which is between St. Paul and Stillwater off of hwy 36. They have a monastery there, horses, a beautiful area for walking, etc. and a men’s retreat center.

Also very solid.

And a priest I know recommended a retreat center in Buffalo, NY, but I don’t have any information on it. If it’s the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal…well, that may be the one Fr. Corapi uses…so check with them!

God bless you!

My parent’s have always gone to Abbey of Gethsemane in Kentucky. It’s for silent retreats and all the spots may be filled up but it’s beautiful and they have liturgy of the hours so it would be good for someone going into seminary.

P.S. Please let us know where you have decided to go on retreat. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back