Suggestions to get Catholics into Mass?

• Thread starter Thread starter BlueRain
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BlueRain

The priest said that where we live, only about 22% of catholics actually go to Mass regularly. He asked for suggestions that might help Catholics come to Mass more.

I have no ideas, I think many of them just don’t understand the Sacraments and they probably think Mass is boring.

Pray. Really, pray for conversions of heart. And perhaps have the priest get the web site up for the diocese and link to some good solid sites. Start up Perpetual Adoration. Print the chaplet for Divine Mercy in the church bulletin. Encourage the people during the homily with words of both tenderness and truth. ADDRESS the “difficult” issues that others pussyfoot around. People WANT to hear the truth, even if they start out by arguing against it. If your priest is steadfast, but loving, if he is CONSISTENT and charitable, people will come, and they will stay.

I think that Catholics would return to Mass (as I did) once they realize what really happens during the Mass. Once they understand that it’ “heaven on earth” they will come back in droves. I was a fallen away Catholic, but after reading several books by Dr. Scott Hahn, I realized the gift I had been ignoring!

How many Catholics don’t know or believe the Eucharist is the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord?? I was one of them! Until I read the book Eucharistic Miracles did I realize what was been offered.

There are several good books by different authors about “understanding the Mass.”

As a result, I now even try to attend Mass several times during the week.

Once you realize the miracle of the Mass, who wouldn’t come back for more - and more often?!
Blessings,
Joanie

You might want to research programs which parishes can present on Catholics returning to the Church.

As a suggestion, it should be run by the laity, but with possible help from the pastor as necessary.

If it is run by the pastor, people may avoid it, as sometimes the issues that have lead them to leave the Church are too intertwined with clergy.

And preferrably, not run by some looney tune who is into speculative theology. One does not have to be a rigid traditionalist to be true to the Magisterium, but it certainly helps to be true to it.

Be active in the community. Make sure people know you (parish wide, not you-you) are Catholic. Have literature on hand.

Have something OTHER than RCIA for people to attend, like a spaghetti dinner and discussion on the basics of Catholicism with Qs and As after, marketing it to lapsed Catholics and non-Catholics. When the local radio station gives the list of activities happening in the area, make sure your church name is always on there with something fun. Put an add in the religion section of the paper.

Go after the kids. If you get the youth, you’ll get the parents too most likely. Recognize what Protestants do well–fraternity, study, and fun.

Make sure you know the people in the parish so that you will recognize any newcomers. (I attended a huge parish in which a newcomer would never go unnoticed; it is possible.)

Have opportunities for fellowship–basketball team, baseball team, knitting group, etc. that people of other faiths (or lapsed) would feel comfortable in attending if invited. Make sure your parishioners are inviting people. On that note, make sure people feel like church is a great place to hang out on non-church time. Have the gym open to the community for basketball or encourage the neighborhood kids to rollerskate in the back parking lot during the day, etc. (Yes, safety is a concern and insurance and blah blah blah, but there are ways to make it work if you want it to.)

Have food! Free food is best. A church I know has a spaghetti dinner with salad and garlic toast once a month where the suggested donation is a couple bucks and the pastor and his family are there; you can just drop in and eat then leave over the course of several hours. A lot of people come back after that because the pastor has an opportunity to tell the person about what is going on in the parish, offer assistance, invite the kiddos to play, etc. Nothing formal. Another church I know has brown-bag casual discussions over lunch and the church provides the cookies for dessert. Another church I know has Wednesday lunch for free on a college campus while discussing their faith and inviting the college kids to attend the church.

Make sure the missals provide explanations on what is happening and when and (briefly) why, and make sure people know where to look to find this information.

The main thing is to connect with the people one-on-one and personally invite them to learn more. The key, though, is to make them comfortable once they get there. Imagine walking into Mass, never having been before, no one there to help you or even to recognize that you exist, and then you leave with no spark of interest in coming back. Not a good scenario.

A better scenario: a person personally invites you to mass, explains some of what to expect, sits with you during mass, then follws up with you afterwards to answer any questions. While there, the priest gives a wonderful homily about the faith. Then in the bulletin/announcements you see that there is an active mom’s group that is always open to new members and a boy scout group going camping and a girl’s choir with open enrollment and a Men’s Night Out. Sounds like a place your family would be happy!

On that note, have open enrollments any place possible. In places where that is not possible, make sure to always note alternatives or the next open enrollment time. It stinks to move into a parish and see that you just missed all the deadlines to get your kids in CCD or your husband in the choir for another full year.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Hopefully they may help people come back to the faith more firmly. I think that praying for true conversion is what will be needed most because I know that som people will not come even when there is a community church party or picnic etc. going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back