B
billcu1
Guest
Has the Summa Theologica ever been declared infallible?
I see. Ok what then about transubstantiation? But then what about Sixtus V’s Vulgate?A book cannot be declared infallible.
what about it?Ok what then about transubstantiation?
Perhaps you can elaborate as to what exactly you want to know.But then what about Sixtus V’s Vulgate?
No, because it isn’t.Has the Summa Theologica ever been declared infallible?
Has the Summa Theologica ever been declared infallible?
Right. And beyond that, the Summa is a theological treatise. More than anything it is analysis of Christian teaching using the tools of Philosophy rather than declare teaching itself.A book cannot be declared infallible.
It is NOT infallible, but it is authoritative. The Catholic Church has canonized St. Thomas based on his contributions to Catholic philosophy, which are summarized (Summa) in his seminal work.Has the Summa Theologica ever been declared infallible?
Thomas tries to explain the Doctrine of Faith as far as they can understood by human reason. As far as the Summa is concerned it is pretty solid intellectually. I have never found an error of reasoning in the Summa. However I have not read all of it. Certainly we are free to disagree with his reasoning. But I don’t think we can disagree with his conclusions since his conclusions always agree with the Doctrine of the Faith.Has the Summa Theologica ever been declared infallible?
The “doctrine of faith” then is infallible? I’m not quite sure what that is. Is that what is taught in CCC ?Thomas tries to explain the Doctrine of Faith as far as they can understood by human reason. As far as the Summa is concerned it is pretty solid intellectually. I have never found an error of reasoning in the Summa. However I have not read all of it. Certainly we are free to disagree with his reasoning. But I don’t think we can disagree with his conclusions since his conclusions always agree with the Doctrine of the Faith.
Linus2nd
Sixtus V was going to declare his vulgate as “error free” I guess that would be infallible. The thing was that he was no latin scholar and his Vulgus was full of errors. The night before he was going to declare it error free he died.what about it?
Perhaps you can elaborate as to what exactly you want to know.
Inerrant and infallible are two completely different things.Sixtus V was going to declare his vulgate as “error free” I guess that would be infallible.
That is correct. A book cannot be declared ‘infallible’ any more than a chicken can be declared a rabbit.They say the Holy Spirit will not let the church teach error. His book was going to be declared infallible and you say a book can’t be declared infallible.
The Real Presence is a dogma of the Church.Transubstantiation though is that teachings error free from the church? That the substance of the hosts are the body and blood?
So does that mean it’s infallible ?The Real Presence is a dogma of the Church.
It is infallibly defined.So does that mean it’s infallible ?
I don’t know what you mean. I don’t understand ExCathedra and infallibility.It is infallibly defined.
There is a whole section on it in the Catechism. I would suggest you start there.I don’t know what you mean. I don’t understand ExCathedra and infallibility.