Summary of the Psalms

  • Thread starter Thread starter CaptCrunch73
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CaptCrunch73

Guest
Does anybody know of a decent inexpensive summary of the Psalms?

I pray the LoTH and am trying to go a little deeper with the Psalms. I know some of the Psalms are penitential, do each of the Psalms have a type, i.e. penitential, praise etc? Are there short summaries online for the Psalms? Any suggestions on how to gain a deeper understanding of the Psalms as they related to the LoTH?
 
Hi,

I like this book Christ in the Psalms by Patrick Henry Reardon. I have found it to be informative and helpful. This is not made by a Catholic author, but there is still a lot of good things in here.

God bless.
 
Does anybody know of a decent inexpensive summary of the Psalms?

I pray the LoTH and am trying to go a little deeper with the Psalms. I know some of the Psalms are penitential, do each of the Psalms have a type, i.e. penitential, praise etc? Are there short summaries online for the Psalms? Any suggestions on how to gain a deeper understanding of the Psalms as they related to the LoTH?
I recommend Georges-Albert Boissinot’s Companion Prayer Book to the Liturgy of the Hours. It is a small book, so it does not go into a lot of detail. But it is also inexpensive (about 6 bucks) and may be helpful in addressing the things you brought up.

For example, Chapter 6 is devoted to the psalms. Although the author does not give a description for each and every psalm, he does discuss them in terms of categories (i.e., penitential, praise, messianic, etc.). Nevertheless, he tends to simply provide one or two examples of each category rather than give the reader the full list. For example, on page 39 he states that there are seven penitential psalms, but only identifies Psalms 51 & 130 as being such. But a little googling can easily fill in what the author left out (for example, I quickly was able to find this online list of the seven penitential psalms, and the same can probably be done with all the other categories the author mentions).

All in all, this little book can be very instrumental in deepening ones appreciation and knowledge of the LOTH as a whole.

As a side note, this happens to be my 1000th post in CAF.

(But seeing as this was made right after Little One0307’s post, this number doesn’t really look all that monumental)
 
Thank you all for your responses they have been very helpful! 🙂
 
Congrats on you 10000 post Eric! 👍 and on 10612 for Little One! This is my 47 post I’m creeping up you folks 😛
 
Congrats on you 10000 post Eric! 👍 and on 10612 for Little One! This is my 47 post I’m creeping up you folks 😛
I love your user name and the avatar way cool.

That just happens to be my favorite cereal, but it has to have the crunch berries in it. 👍

God bless. Keep creeping along, you’ll catch up.
 
Hi,

I like this book Christ in the Psalms by Patrick Henry Reardon. I have found it to be informative and helpful. This is not made by a Catholic author, but there is still a lot of good things in here.

God bless.
I think this is the perfect book for the OP because it concentrates on how each Psalm fits into the LOTH. I’ve tried several books on the Psalms, and for the very same reason as CaptCrunch, and I found this one is by far the best, for this purpose (LOTH).

For instance, the Navarre Bible’s Book of Psalms is excellent, but it doesn’t focus on where each Psalm fits in the Liturgy of the Hours routine and why.

As LittleOne pointed out, Patrick Reardon is not Catholic, but he is obviously a devoted follower of the Liturgy of the Hours. Isn’t he Episcopal? I think they also pray the LOTH.
 
I think this is the perfect book for the OP because it concentrates on how each Psalm fits into the LOTH. I’ve tried several books on the Psalms, and for the very same reason as CaptCrunch, and I found this one is by far the best, for this purpose (LOTH).

For instance, the Navarre Bible’s Book of Psalms is excellent, but it doesn’t focus on where each Psalm fits in the Liturgy of the Hours routine and why.

As LittleOne pointed out, Patrick Reardon is not Catholic, but he is obviously a devoted follower of the Liturgy of the Hours. Isn’t he Episcopal? I think they also pray the LOTH.
From the back of the book. He is the pastor of All Saints Antiochian Orthodox Church in Chicago, Illinois, and Senior Editor of Touchstone: A Journal of Mere Christianity.

Every day I am trying to read a psalm and meditate upon it, sometimes I don’t manage to do this until four days have gone by.

I think so Episcopalians pray the LOTH, I know the Orthodox do I believe.

God bless.
 
Thanks again everyone, Christ in the Psalms, it’s on it’s way. That’s kinda what I was looking for.
 
Thanks again everyone, Christ in the Psalms, it’s on it’s way. That’s kinda what I was looking for.
Good for you. I think you will enjoy it. You come across anything, feel free to PM me, I love to find people to disucss that book. Want to go through it together? If so PM me and we can do it together if you want, I have wanted to go through the book again.

God bless.
 
Thanks Little One. I may take you up on that. My plan is to start reading each psalm devotion along with the LoTH, so I won’t be going thru the book in order (assuming the book is in numerical order). Amazon says Christ in the Psalms is shipping soon so I expect to get started in the next two weeks.

My time between now and December will be extremely limited as I finish up school (last semester) :). Why I decided to return to school after 25 years is beyond me but since I did I have to finish. Another topic for another thread…

Anyway, when I have limited time I tend to work meditations into my daily devotions. I’ve done something similar with the Sunday Readings using Liturgy of the Word by von Balthazar. It’s not much but it keeps me going…
 
Thanks Little One. I may take you up on that. My plan is to start reading each psalm devotion along with the LoTH, so I won’t be going thru the book in order (assuming the book is in numerical order). Amazon says Christ in the Psalms is shipping soon so I expect to get started in the next two weeks.

My time between now and December will be extremely limited as I finish up school (last semester) :). Why I decided to return to school after 25 years is beyond me but since I did I have to finish. Another topic for another thread…

Anyway, when I have limited time I tend to work meditations into my daily devotions. I’ve done something similar with the Sunday Readings using Liturgy of the Word by von Balthazar. It’s not much but it keeps me going…
Hi,

I should start getting back to memorizing the psalms, I had like 40 memorized at one time. It should be easy in relearning them. I find it helpful for me to pray these, I guess I am moving from the LOTH and focusing on praying the Psalms. I find when they are learned in the heart, there’s much to meditate upon them. Sometimes a phrase will become a temporary short prayer if it is needed in particular circumstances. I think perhaps that book will be a good thing to augment the memorization of the psalsm as well. I won’t go in order as well, but in the order of memorization that I orginally memorized them.

When I memorize them, I pray each line or each section as well. So it has been an overall deep prayerful experience for me. I just got lack with it.

God bless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top