Sunday Mass in pandemic times

• Thread starter Thread starter Jen7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jen7

Sunday Mass is now available here but of course the obligation to attend is still waived. My husband would prefer to attend daily Mass due to a smaller crowd. Do you think God has a preference for Sunday, though? Or since there’s no obligation then God doesn’t care which day we attend Mass right now?

I can’t speak for God, but if there’s no obligation, you don’t have to go on Sunday. I know a lot of people who want to go to Mass but want to avoid crowds and are going to daily Mass at some point. I think that’s a fine thing to do.

-Fr ACEGC

Dear Father,

On a related note: Even though we’re dispensed from attending Liturgy/Mass on Sunday, we are still obliged to rest from servile work on Sunday and to keep Sunday holy. Is that right?

Yes. Sunday is still Sunday. Though I’m not sure how to observe Sunday as a day of rest myself. I’ve not been able to do so for about the last ten years.

You’ve been a priest for 10 years? Ad multos annos! Many and blessed years! When is your ordination anniversary so we can all celebrate? 🍾

I have been a priest for four years, as of Thursday actually. But before that I was a seminarian for six years, so Sundays have been pretty busy for me that whole time.

So your ordination anniversary fell on the Feast of St. Ephrem (TL calendar)!

Here’s an excerpt from the Royal Doors Scripture reflection for today (6/20):

Romans 3:28-4:3; Matthew 7:24-8:4; Apostles’ Fast.

“…The current pandemic is one of these times when we are called to draw closer to God, to draw up water from the well of faith that we first received at our baptism so that we might be strengthened. Why must we recall our baptism? Well, because we cannot be strengthened spiritually by our own efforts alone. No. In our baptism we became joined to Christ and so we are able to reach out confidently to God in times of trial, and perhaps doubt. As the father of the boy with the mute spirit said to Our Lord, we too must cry out “I believe; help my unbelief.” (Mark 9:23-25). God hears us and He constantly welcomes us into relationship with Him, His Son, and His All-Holy Spirit. Our response, our ‘yes’ to God comes through prayer and in how we live our lives in Christ. Let us rededicate ourselves during these days to deepening our prayer lives by praying the Jesus Prayer, by praying part of the Divine Office, and/or by reading and meditating on the Holy Scriptures. In our prayer we come face-to-face with the God who loves us and has redeemed us through His Only-Begotten Son…”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back