Sunday Rest

• Thread starter Thread starter Brown10985
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brown10985

Hi,
I was hoping someone could tell me if it’s sinful to run a few miles and lift weights on Sunday. I find this time great to be alone with God without any distractions and it would sadden me if I found out I would have to give it up. I’ve read what the catechism had to say about this but found it very vague.
Also, would it be sinful going to a football game or pool where people are being employed to work on Sunday?

This is my personal opinion, not necessarily the Church’s. Please take it as such, so that those who disagree can simply state their own opinion rather than bicker about how I am misleading you.

Jesus said the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. I see that as an injunction for masters and employers from making their people work every day without rest, because they need rest to get back to God.

You might also want to read Galatians 3 and 4. Here’s a couple excerpts:
Gal 3:1-5:
O stupid Galatians! Who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified? I want to learn only this from you: did you receive the Spirit from works of the law, or from faith in what you heard? Are you so stupid? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now ending with the flesh? Did you experience so many things in vain?–if indeed it was in vain. Does, then, the one who supplies the Spirit to you and works mighty deeds among you do so from works of the law or from faith in what you heard?
source: usccb.org/nab/bible/galatians/galatians3.htm
Gal 4:6-11:
As proof that you are children, God sent the spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” So you are no longer a slave but a child, and if a child then also an heir, through God. At a time when you did not know God, you became slaves to things that by nature are not gods; but now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and destitute elemental powers? Do you want to be slaves to them all over again? You are observing days, months, seasons, and years. I am afraid on your account that perhaps I have labored for you in vain.
usccb.org/nab/bible/galatians/galatians4.htm

Get out of those chapters what you will, but I get out of them the same thing Jesus showed us: His people picked grain on the sabbath to eat; He healed on the sabbath; He said the sabbath was made for man. As Catholics, we are obligated to go to Mass on Sundays and Holy Days, but if we become a slave to the sabbath so that we miss a chance at activities that are refreshing to us we have entirely missed the point of the Good News.

As far as avoiding businesses where people work on the sabbath, I’d avoid judging those people who work then. Every week several people from our church go out to Taco Tico and get 39 cent tacos on Sunday. In addition, if you were actually serious about avoiding businesses where people work for pay on Sunday, then you would have very slim choices of Masses to go to because most churches pay their pianists/organists such as me to play music during Mass.

Alan

40.png
Brown10985:
Hi,
I was hoping someone could tell me if it’s sinful to run a few miles and lift weights on Sunday. I find this time great to be alone with God without any distractions and it would sadden me if I found out I would have to give it up. I’ve read what the catechism had to say about this but found it very vague.
Also, would it be sinful going to a football game or pool where people are being employed to work on Sunday?
Alan has given you a very good response to your question. I would only add that I believe you are being too scrupulous here…How could running on Sunday possibly be sinful? Relax.

Brown,

I’ll throw in my understanding of Sunday rest, for what it’s worth: I avoid doing mundane errands and chores on Sunday. For instance, I do all of my chores around the house on Saturday, which leaves Sunday open for picnics, reading, or some fun project that only gets attention on Sundays. I do NOT regard Sunday as just another day to get house stuff done before the work week begins. I don’t mow the lawn, vacuum, shop, clean the catbox, etc. However, if there is something that I enjoy doing that I think is beneficial to my spiritual life (bringing me closer to an appreciation of God’s created world), then that’s OK. So, I might go for a walk, or spend some time in the garden (stopping the latter if it becomes mere work). I might cook a simple meal for friends and family. I make sure there is time for contemplation, for just being quiet. I would think that your activities, especially as you say it is your time to be alone with God without any distractions, would be similar in nature and so I don’t see that as a violation of the day of rest. Regarding going to places where others are working: I heard a priest or bishop answer this question on a radio show, and his opinion was that in this country, our labor laws are such that no one is “forced” to work seven days a week without any rest. Those working on Sunday most likely have chosen other days off, so he did not see it as a huge deal to go to restaurants, movies, etc. Now, I personally think that if everyone took the Sabbath more seriously and did not do mundane chores on Sunday, then the Home Depots and Wal-Marts wouldn’t have to be open and the only ones working then would be in those areas of entertainment and eating.
As a rule of thumb: if it feels like work, don’t do it if you don’t have to. And be careful of rationalizing what you “have” to do.

'I would only add that I believe you are being too scrupulous here’

i’d say it’s difficult to ascertain whether he’s being scrupulous or simply wanting to avoid sin, and deepen his faith and walk with God. i think we’d have to know him to know if this were the case.

**concerning sunday - relaxing and spending time with God is the meaning of the ‘day of rest’. it doesn’t mean not doing anything at all. the idea of refraining from any kind of work, like lifting your child or even getting out of bed, borders on pharisaical. **

and, concerning leisure - the activities you mentioned were also those of rest - just be mindful that our actions require others to provide for them - so eating in a restaurant on sunday means that someone has to work there, going to the grocery store means someone has to work there. when possible, i try to avoid these things on sunday. but it wouldn’t be sinful not to, just inconsistent with the philosophy of our church - that sunday is a day of rest for everyone.
**enjoy your day off. 🙂 **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back