Supernatural Phenomenon amongst Saints

• Thread starter Thread starter James_2_24
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James_2_24

Often when we read about lives of Saints we come across miracle workers. Ones who levitate, others who bi-locate, stigmatists, wonder workers.

Outside of the incorruptible Saints and a few grainy Padre Pio pictures, why is it that we don’t have a huge abundance of evidence of these “miracles”?

That is, why don’t we have footage yet, say right on prime time TV (foxnews) of a Saint levitating right in front of the cameras? It seems to happen so often amongst those whom are holy, in fact, you can read hundreds if not thousands of stories of miracles of the Saints…

I would imagine because evidence would lessen the gift of faith. If there were pictures everywhere of people levitating and so on, wouldn’t it be easier to have faith? Jesus said blessed are those who haven’t seen, yet believe. Why would God want everyone to see?

But there’s plenty of evidence of the supernatural out there. Just look at all the incorruptibles, bleeding statues, etc.

Hello, James,

What do you think might happen if someone turned on the TV and saw a person levitating? Do you think this would enkindle the person to love God devotedly and turn their lives over to Him, walking evermore in love and truth? I have the feeling that the viewer might be in temporary shock and awe and perhaps attempt briefly to return to God, but this would not have the power to “hold” anyone for very long, because the “conversion” would be built on the sand of phenomena, rather than the rock of Christ.

You can just imagine what happens to a house built on sand when the storms arise. :eek:

Warm regards,
Carole

Our Catholic faith is more mystical than Star Wars, but there is no line in front of the church on Sunday. There is a great book about mystics with some photos that can be purchased through Catholic catalogues. There is a lot of evidence available, but as the saying goes, “For those who don’t believe, no amount of evidence will suffice!”

God bless,
Deacon tony

James_2:24:
That is, why don’t we have footage yet, say right on prime time TV (foxnews) of a Saint levitating right in front of the cameras? It seems to happen so often amongst those whom are holy, in fact, you can read hundreds if not thousands of stories of miracles of the Saints…
because there is no sex and violence involved?
because papparazzi don’t follow saints around, only celebrities?
because miracles would only interest the over 50 crowd, not the demographics the networks are looking for?

I don’t think saints are interested in being spectacles. I don’t know of any who currently levitate, but the pastor of the church where I grew up (died just before I was born) had been seen by parishoners levitating during his private prayers. As far as I know, he was humble, unassuming and conducted his prayers and meditations in private. His ecstatic levitation was only witnessed by accident.
As the parable tells us, when Lazarus the rich man asked to return to earth and warn his brothers what fate awaited them if they did not repent, he was told that the prophets had already been sent. If people did not listen to them, they would not listen even if one were to rise from the dead. Or, in this case, witness miracles and wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back