F
fineca
Guest
Dear all,
please have a look at the part dealing with the RCC in this Wikipedia article on supersessionism:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersessionism
What do you think? I have read in a leaflet about the Bible (with an imprimatur and published by libreria editrice vaticana) that said that modern theologians prefer to call the Old Testament the First Covenant since it has never been revoked/become Old, and there was a sister I spoke to in Poland that said the same from some congregation with an emphasis on the Bible. On Bob Sungenis’ website there was a debate on a CCC passage saying that the Old Covenant has never been revoked, someone accusing the CCC of heresy while Sungenis trying to explain the word covenant referred to the Old Testament which wasn’t convincing in the context. I also know Sungenis has criticized Roy Schoeman for his views in Salvation is from the Jews, accusing him of saying the Church was wrong in teaching supersessionism, but anyway in the book Roy says that the Jews need to convert in order to be saved and not that the Mosaic law is a valid way to salvation.
I read some of Mystici Corporis by Pope Pius XII and he clearly teaches supersessionism, but this wikipedia article gives reason to think that JP2 and other Church leaders have repudiated it. Are there official church documents that reject supersessionism? I hope not. Anyway that’s what I’ve always thought is the faith of the Church and the Bible.
It seems the Bible teaches that Christ has fulfilled the Old law which is no longer in force (Eph. 2, Col. 2). But St.Paul also says about the Jews:
as regards election they are beloved for the sake of their forefathers. For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable. (Rom. 11:29)
But just before this he says they’re enemies of God as regards the Gospel…so what then should we make of “the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable”?
Btw Paul also calls the Jews Christ-killers in Thessalonians… why then do we nowadays say that it’s forbidden to call the Jews Christ-killers if the Holy Spirit did just that?
Thanks for your insights
E
please have a look at the part dealing with the RCC in this Wikipedia article on supersessionism:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersessionism
What do you think? I have read in a leaflet about the Bible (with an imprimatur and published by libreria editrice vaticana) that said that modern theologians prefer to call the Old Testament the First Covenant since it has never been revoked/become Old, and there was a sister I spoke to in Poland that said the same from some congregation with an emphasis on the Bible. On Bob Sungenis’ website there was a debate on a CCC passage saying that the Old Covenant has never been revoked, someone accusing the CCC of heresy while Sungenis trying to explain the word covenant referred to the Old Testament which wasn’t convincing in the context. I also know Sungenis has criticized Roy Schoeman for his views in Salvation is from the Jews, accusing him of saying the Church was wrong in teaching supersessionism, but anyway in the book Roy says that the Jews need to convert in order to be saved and not that the Mosaic law is a valid way to salvation.
I read some of Mystici Corporis by Pope Pius XII and he clearly teaches supersessionism, but this wikipedia article gives reason to think that JP2 and other Church leaders have repudiated it. Are there official church documents that reject supersessionism? I hope not. Anyway that’s what I’ve always thought is the faith of the Church and the Bible.
It seems the Bible teaches that Christ has fulfilled the Old law which is no longer in force (Eph. 2, Col. 2). But St.Paul also says about the Jews:
as regards election they are beloved for the sake of their forefathers. For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable. (Rom. 11:29)
But just before this he says they’re enemies of God as regards the Gospel…so what then should we make of “the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable”?
Btw Paul also calls the Jews Christ-killers in Thessalonians… why then do we nowadays say that it’s forbidden to call the Jews Christ-killers if the Holy Spirit did just that?
Thanks for your insights
E