Supertition/scapular?

• Thread starter Thread starter Monicathree
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Monicathree

Hey all,

How can it briefly be explained the difference between superstion and wearing a scapular. I have not studied much on Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. I know it was an apparition and that there are promises for those who wear it, as well, as the enrollment and obligation of the daily office, or liturgy of the hours or something like that. The same even with other apparitions. If you do …, you will get or not get…
How can it be explained that this is not surperstitious, which of course, I know is against church belief.

Peace

The Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is not a good luck charm or a magical device, but an ongoing devotion to Our Lady, the Blessed Virgin Mary. Any “promises” associated with it’s use are the natural fruits of the devotion. One who wears the scapular faithfully – meaning that he wears it continuously, observes chastity according to his state in life (single, Married), and either a) recites the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin (which is a shortened form of the great Liturgy of the Hours), b) recites the Rosary daily, or c) with permission of a Priest, substitutes some other good work – naturally will receive the fruits of such living and can be granted certain graces. It is unlikely that such a person will die in a condition of mortal sin, and that person isn’t likely to face the fires of Hell. There is nothing very superstitious about living a daily life of devout and ongoing prayer, is there?
The actual wearing of the scapular provides a visible sign of one’s faith to the world and can provide opportunities for witnessing as well. Even if you wear it under your clothing, there is a chance that you will at some point have an opportunity to explain to someone what it is. (Don’t say "It’s a lucky charm that will keep me from going to Hell!) 😉

The Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is not a good luck charm or a magical device, but an ongoing devotion to Our Lady, the Blessed Virgin Mary. Any “promises” associated with it’s use are the natural fruits of the devotion. One who wears the scapular faithfully – meaning that he wears it continuously, observes chastity according to his state in life (single, Married), and either a) recites the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin (which is a shortened form of the great Liturgy of the Hours), b) recites the Rosary daily, or c) with permission of a Priest, substitutes some other good work – naturally will receive the fruits of such living and can be granted certain graces. It is unlikely that such a person will die in a condition of mortal sin, and that person isn’t likely to face the fires of Hell. There is nothing very superstitious about living a daily life of devout and ongoing prayer, is there?
The actual wearing of the scapular provides a visible sign of one’s faith to the world and can provide opportunities for witnessing as well. Even if you wear it under your clothing, there is a chance that you will at some point have an opportunity to explain to someone what it is. (Don’t say "It’s a lucky charm that will keep me from going to Hell!) 😉

40.png
Monicathree:
Hey all,

How can it briefly be explained the difference between superstion and wearing a scapular. I have not studied much on Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. I know it was an apparition and that there are promises for those who wear it, as well, as the enrollment and obligation of the daily office, or liturgy of the hours or something like that. The same even with other apparitions. If you do …, you will get or not get…
How can it be explained that this is not surperstitious, which of course, I know is against church belief.

Peace
if you carry your pocket New Testament around with you everywhere you go, are you being superstitious? I don’t think so… Will you go to heaven solely because it’s in you back pocket when the car runs you down? I don’t think so… It’s meaning is in your heart… God knows why you carry the pocket new testament, and God know why you wear a scapular… The promises you mention are more that just slipping the scapular around your neck…

i think you will find this very interesting… try it on…catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0062.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back