Surmounting the errors of my past

• Thread starter Thread starter darkgreen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

darkgreen

Years ago, I did some foolish things on the job, but the worst of all happened when I worked at a retailer and “poked” a female coworker in the side, which of course, got me sacked in short time. It wasn’t meant to be sexual, but I know that doesn’t matter.

Now I’m looking to change into another job and the question comes up in an interview, “Have you ever been termed for inappropriate behavior?”

Knowing full well that answering “yes” is a deal-breaker, my other option is to flat lie about it with a “no,” which is just plain sinful.

How does one these days find work with a spotted past and without lying? It seems most employers aren’t willing to offer second chances.

Thanks for the thought and replies.

No, definitely don’t lie. If the new job decides to ask your old workplace for a reference, you’re going to be in even more trouble.

The best thing to do is be honest, and say how much you regret what happened, and that you’ve learnt from the incident and nothing like that will ever happen again.

Be honest. Lying on your application is in itself a firable offence.

"Yes, I was terminated from Mr Frosty Ice Cream because I touched another employee in a way that made her uncomfortable. I am deeply ashamed of that childish act.

Since that time, I have grown and matured and I now understand how important it is to respect the personal space and sensibilities of my coworkers. I will abide by all of the policies of Zippy Store."

Employers who are too narrow minded or prejudiced to give someone a second chance who has learned from his or her mistakes don’t deserve the valuable services such an employee could provide.

I have a problem with employers who discriminate against applicants who have served time in prison, paid their debt to society, took and completed their punishment, yet continue to be punished afterwards by being refused employment. In some states, it’s actually illegal to deny someone work solely for that reason.

Someone who has made the commitment to go straight and earn an honest living shouldn’t be deprived of that opportunity simply because of past mistakes. Any employer who insists upon denying a job to someone who has been previously fired or who has been incarcerated and has made a conscious effort to reform isn’t worth working for. Such refusals are often rooted in self-righteousness, in which they’ve forgotten that nobody is perfect – including themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back