Surrender financally

• Thread starter Thread starter tomhag
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tomhag

In I surrender to the Lord do I have to give up all my money and be poor?

I give all I have. I work and don’t have a dime left between my children, grandchildren, Masses, my sisters order, the order I work for and the few household bills I help with. I’m blessed to have gas in my car.😉 Oh I even give my blood.

Dear Friend,

Surrender does not mean physically giving up all you have. It means being willing for the Lord to have it if He would ask it of you. In truth, it is detachment from everything we are and have, a testimony that God is more important to us than our very selves. When this type of surrender is made with earnest sincerity, I promise you God will give Himself to the soul in a way that is beyond one’s deepest imaginings.

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding, and my entire will.
All I have and call my own.
Whatever I have or hold, you have given me.
I restore it all to you and surrender it wholly
to be governed by your will.
Give me only your love and grace
and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more.

St. Ignatius’ Prayer for Generosity

40.png
tomhag:
There may be some people who are specially called to do that, but the majority of us are not.

We have to take care of our priorities in our state of life, support our families, take care of our bills, etc.

But, to follow Jesus we should not be putting material things first and foremost in our lives. It is okay to have some luxuries, but to give them a place in our lives that belongs to God is not right. Also we do need to give a reasonable amount to our parish and to the needy.

We should surrender our lives to the Lord every day, and pray for discernment as to how we should live out our vocation.

40.png
tomhag:
If you surrender to The Lord you are giving him everything…the act of surrender to God is a giving to him of everything…including whatever money you may have in that you now look on money for example as His Gift to you and over which you are the steward…which simply means that one uses money for example according to God’s Will for your state in life.
Whatever money you may spend to discharge the duties of your state in life, is money used in good stewardship according to God’s Will.
The Will of God is not always difficult, nor does He ask that life be harsh. Money spent on clothing etc., entertainment etc. etc. according to our state in life can be quite in accord with God’s Will and the duties of our state in life, and unless spent to excess are God’ s Will for us. For the human being needs a certain amount of liesure, holidays which relaxes in order to return to the more perhaps mundane duties of our state refreshed.
We also need and in accord with God’s Will and our state in life, perhaps different outfits of clothing for various reasons.
Common sense will dicatate to you the way to go.
If you remain uncertain on the score, then continue to seek advice and very often a Catholic Priest can be very helpful.
As well as this, we should always pray to be sensitive to God’s Will in and for our lives and to respond with insight and love.

Send regards…Peace…Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back