Switching Rites

• Thread starter Thread starter Edwin1961
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edwin1961

I have been reading quite a number of threads about the Eastern and Western Rites (I, for one, had ‘switched’ back to my original Rite).

So what are Your experiences about changing from the Western Rite to the Eastern of visa versa?

Go with God!
Edwin
'The Catholic Church breathes with two lungs-East and West '.(JP2-paraphrasing)

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I went West to East (RC to BC).

Ten years ago, my parents were travelling with a Greek Orthodox associate in California, and they went up to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic monastary on Mt Tabor in Redwood, CA, ans stayed there for a few days. They wre taken with the Liturgy, especially my father, at the recitation of the Precommunion prayer of St John Chrysostom that is commonly said during Liturgy. There was a Byz Cath. church behind the church we were going to Saturday morning Mass. We went once a month for a long time. At the end of my Junior year of HS, my folks moved away, i stayed to finish. From that point i went every Sunday and feast i could (by that time, it became very much home). I went off to school then, and moved two hours from church (my BC home parish, the nearest to where i went to school), and made the treck twice a month. At the end of my Freshman year, i was in town for a friends confirmation, and i invited my Fiancee and best friend to church (she was Nazarene, he was RLDS)-we were all going to the confirmation, but i do not like late Eucharistic Liturgies outside of fasts, so we went to my church. It was Pentacost Sunday. For a while, both were contemplating entering the Church, but hedged at it. They went, we had Liturgy and the Kneeling prayers from Vespers, and a Baptism, the Chruch’s birthday dinner, and the baptism dinner-so they had a full first experience of our particular Church. My fiancee came into the Church the following January, right before we were married, and my best friend came in the following Pascha, into the BCC. I went and applied for change of Rite, but my initial letter was deemed unnecessary, as the new code of Canon Law had changed the process, so that the change could be reciprocated. Previously, a RC woman who married a Catholic of another Rite could simply declare a change of Rite, and it was entered into the parish books, but it did not work the other way-the man had to apply to Rome for a transfer. The new Code allows for the man to make a simple declaration, and so i did that. That was the Feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos, 7510 (2001 on the civil calendar). We have for three years made the 2 or 2.5 hour treck almost weekly, that our children may know our Church, and we keep our spiritual sanity. We just recently moved to Steubenville, OH., so we are now closer churches, and we have been avisiting them.

That is about the sum of the journey to date.

In Christ,
Adam

Adam, Thanks!
What a wonderful story!
You are close enough to Pittsburgh to visit the Head Eparchy for the United States!

Go with God!
Edwin
Ever been to the pilgrimage in Unionville, PA?
I hadn’t been there yet.

I went to DL on Pentacost at Holy Ghost in the Rox. It was the patronal, and Metropolitan +BASIL celebrated the Liturgy, Fr Larko (the pastor) and Fr David Petras concelebrated-Fr David was the holmilist. There was a dinner afterwards, celebrating the Feast, parish, and the jubilee of a certain Sr Ann. We got to talk to Metro. +
BASIL for a few minutes while we were waiting in line for our meal.

I have not been to Uniontwon as of yet (that was way too far for us to drive). Have you been to Mariapovch in Burton? I strongly suggest that you go this year, especially since the Dormition falls on a Sunday, and that will make for some fun Vepers on Saturday night!

S’Bohom
Adam

40.png
akemner:
I went to DL on Pentacost at Holy Ghost in the Rox. It was the patronal, and Metropolitan +BASIL celebrated the Liturgy, Fr Larko (the pastor) and Fr David Petras concelebrated-Fr David was the holmilist. There was a dinner afterwards, celebrating the Feast, parish, and the jubilee of a certain Sr Ann. We got to talk to Metro. +
BASIL for a few minutes while we were waiting in line for our meal.

I have not been to Uniontwon as of yet (that was way too far for us to drive). Have you been to Mariapovch in Burton? I strongly suggest that you go this year, especially since the Dormition falls on a Sunday, and that will make for some fun Vepers on Saturday night!

S’Bohom
Adam
Adam
I will try to make it to Burton this August. Since it is in the county south of me, I should have no excuse not to go.
Meeting Metro Basil, now that is really cool :cool:

If you streamlink audio on your computer, my Pastor Fr. Bryan Eyman has a radio program that is on locally here.
www.welw.com
The program is on Sundays @ 6;30 AM and repeats @1 1:00PM. I wish the programs were archived, but I have made CD of some of the programs. (Unfortunately, my extermal burner is out of commission)> 😦 .
If you get a chance to listen, let me know whether you liked the program.
Todays program deals with Sts. Peter and Paul.

Go with God!
Edwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back