Taize Community

• Thread starter Thread starter twinjenni1956
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

twinjenni1956

Can anyone tell me about the Taize Community in France. My college son is planning to go in Jan. with fellow college students and stay for a week there. I checked their website. It did not sound bad but wondered if it is a good idea for Catholics to go to visit. I understand it is ecumenical and Pope John Paul II visited it in 1986 and seemed very appreciative of the goodness there–emphasis on living a community life devoted to prayer, the Gospels and helping the poor and those in need. its aim sounds good but because of its emphasis on ecumenism, could someone’s faith be undermined?
thank you to anyone who takes time to respond to my question.

40.png
twinjenni1956:
Can anyone tell me about the Taize Community in France. My college son is planning to go in Jan. with fellow college students and stay for a week there. I checked their website. It did not sound bad but wondered if it is a good idea for Catholics to go to visit. I understand it is ecumenical and Pope John Paul II visited it in 1986 and seemed very appreciative of the goodness there–emphasis on living a community life devoted to prayer, the Gospels and helping the poor and those in need. its aim sounds good but because of its emphasis on ecumenism, could someone’s faith be undermined?
Not only the Pope, but many bishops and priests have been there.

I attended a Taize prayer at a local Roman Catholic parish once, I loved it and always had an interest in doing it again.

I could think of a lot of worse places in Europe he could go.

Set your mind at ease.

Dear Hesychios,

Thank you for taking time to respond to my question on the Taize community. your information was very reassuring!

God Bless you,

twinjenni

i’ll bet this will help you in your decisionmaking: taize was very instrumental in my becoming catholic. i was living near san francisco, studying theology (and church history) at a baptist seminary. i attended some taize services at grace … cathedral? grace something in san fran, and the beauty and truth of the liturgy moved me greatly. it was a beautiful and wonderful experience, and i try to attend them in austin (tx) whenever possible. i’ve not visited the french community, but i’ve heard nothing but great things.

dear jeffreedy789 and puzzleannie,

thank you so much for responding to my thread on the taize community. to Jeffreedy789, I am so glad your experience with taize influenced you to become a Catholic. to Puzzleannie: thank you for sharing the taize website with me.

thank you again and God bless you both!

twinjenni

40.png
twinjenni1956:
I went to Taize in year 2000 and spend a full week there. (Sunday afternoon - Sunday afternoon. It was great!

There are thousands and thousands young people go to Taize every year and many people repeatedly going back…

I would like to go back if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back