Taking the Lord's name in vain and euphemisms for it

• Thread starter Thread starter Famulus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Famulus

So taking the Lord’s name in vain seems like it would be rather easy to just not do, and to recognize when it is done, however I’ve gotten kind of curious or maybe even confused as to what constitutes this. So saying bad words with God’s name in them, or yelling and saying the Holy Name when something happens is definitely taking the Lord’s name in vain, and the same goes for " Oh my God ". Now considering that " Oh my God " is most certainly taking His name in vain, and substitute words for God’s name would be too right?

Stuff like gosh, gee, and golly are all, when looked up, euphemisms for God, and as such would be taking His name in vain. So now anything or word that substitutes God’s name when used in vain, is also taking His name in vain, this also then would apply to saying things like goodness, or goodness gracious. Does this apply to the word Holy as well? Like, would saying holy cow, or holy guacamole constitute as taking the name of God, or Holy in vain, and therefore be sinful and disrespectful to God ( cause they don’t exactly give Him praise by their use)? Thanks in advance, God be with you.

CCC $2143
“Among all the words of Revelation, there is one which is unique: the revealed name of God. God confides his name to those who believe in him; he reveals himself to them in his personal mystery. The gift of a name belongs to the order of trust and intimacy. “The Lord’s name is holy.” For this reason man must not abuse it. He must keep it in mind in silent, loving adoration. He will not introduce it into his own speech except to bless, praise, and glorify it.

OMG! LOL! NOT. - By Fr. G. Peter Irving III

EWTN - SECOND COMMANDMENT: “Thou Shalt Not Take the Name of the Lord Thy God in Vain.”

Substitutes
Wow. That caught me off guard, …
I’m surprise/stunned/amazed …
Well, look at that, how did that happen …
Oh my/dear I’m sorry to hear that

There’s no need to incorporate the word ‘holy’ e.g. holy cow etc - so just don’t. Find other ways to express what you wish to say.

Perhaps you should speak to your PP about your concerns.

Back in the early twentieth century, two common exclamations, both euphemisms for “Jesus Christ,” were “Jeepers Creepers” and “Jiminy Cricket.” That didn’t prevent Hollywood from using Jeepers Creepers as the title of a song performed by Louis Armstrong in a 1938 movie called Going Places, just as it didn’t prevent Walt Disney from using Jiminy Cricket as the name of a character in Pinocchio, released in 1940. At that time, the Catholic-inspired Hays Code had been in force — and was very strictly enforced, as far as the major studios were concerned — for close to twenty years.

I was always taught that “God”isn’t a name, but a title. God told his name to Moses, and it wasn’t “Golly.” But one could always confess saying “goodness gracious” (a favorite expression of maiden aunts of a certain age) and see how that goes.

“Vapid banter”. Now there is something that is so close to insult that it can cross the line. It seems fun but for me it gets tiring and dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back