Teaching orders

• Thread starter Thread starter sir_galahad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sir_galahad

Hello! I’m considering a vocation as a brother in an order that runs colleges and schools as one of its charisms. Can anyone recommend any such orders that are orthodox in their theology and liturgical practices? Thanks!

Have you checked out “Visions”? It is an annual vocation magazine with info and contact info on many orders for both men and women. The new issue just came out. Their website is www.visionguide.org. I have found that different communities of the same order can vary widely so don’t write off an entire order just because you know one community that it too modern for you. I do know that the Dominicans are a teaching order. Hope this helps.

Salesians. Certain groups of the Dominicans and Benedictines.

Josh

The Benedictines. They have an archabbey in Latrobe, PA but the ones I’m familiar with co-sponsor Benedictine College in Atchison, KS (my alma mater.) Terrific order with dynamic orthodoxy and more and more young men joining.

www.kansasmonks.org

The Jesuits run two high schools, a major retreat center and a university in our town. The Christian Brothers (LaSallian’s) - with a half dozen or so lay brothers living on campus - operate another high school.

Just two that come to mind . . .

Dave.

Here’s a link to the LaSallian teaching order:

www.lasalle2.org

A brief summary from their site:
The Brothers of the Christian Schools began making a difference in people’s lives over 320 years ago. We were founded by St. John Baptist de La Salle, a French priest, who saw the need for a group of lay men who would dedicate their lives to the ministry of Christian education, especially for the poor. Our mission has always been “to give a human and Christian education to the young, especially the poor.” Today we minister with over 73,000 lay colleagues and teach over 900,000 students in 80 countries.

40.png
goravens:
The Benedictines. They have an archabbey in Latrobe, PA but the ones I’m familiar with co-sponsor Benedictine College in Atchison, KS (my alma mater.) Terrific order with dynamic orthodoxy and more and more young men joining.

www.kansasmonks.org
St. Vincent Archabbey in Latrobe is the archabbey for the Americano-Casinensis (AmCas) Congregation that includes the Benedictines in Archison. They also run a College and Seminary there. I am an alumnist of the College and hope to be an alumnist of the Seminary in the future. Fr. Jacques Daley, OSB who has appeard on EWTN a number of times, is a monk at St. Vincent.

PF

the society of jesus is legendary for teaching (and to my knowlege and in my experience, pretty much only the newsmaker jesuits are freaks/liberals).

40.png
goravens:

www.kansasmonks.org
Two wonderful Benedictines run my parish. But those Benedictine nuns are scary…“Sing a New Church”…Sister Joan

But I love the brothers.

40.png
axolotl:
Two wonderful Benedictines run my parish. But those Benedictine nuns are scary…“Sing a New Church”…Sister Joan

But I love the brothers.
“Sister” Joan’s group of Benedictines are not representative of the Benedictine nuns in the US. The ones who worked at St. Vincent were from St. Emma’s in Greensburg. They were always in full habit. Mind you, most of them were from Germany and were getting up in age.

PF

WanderAimlessly said:
“Sister” Joan’s group of Benedictines are not representative of the Benedictine nuns in the US. The ones who worked at St. Vincent were from St. Emma’s in Greensburg. They were always in full habit. Mind you, most of them were from Germany and were getting up in age.

PF

Well that’s good to know. Is the “sister” who wrote that horrible “Sing a New Church” also part of Joan’s group?

Where I live, there are the Ursulines and their “Sophia Center” and an equally bad group of Dominicans. It’s good to know the Benedictines haven’t fallen in the same way. Although I did see a habited nun at a desk at one of our local Catholic hospitals, but when I looked at the website of the Order the hospital was affiliated with, the were all pictured plainclothes. I’m still figuing this order out.

But, we were taliking about men! Women’s orders is another thread.

Then are the Benedictines at Latrobe odd? Their website seems quite conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back