Teen Bible Study Ideas

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shannon_Moore
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shannon_Moore

Guest
I am a teen in a youth group of a decent-sized parish. Recently, my sister and I were put in charge of the Bible Study that our youth group has each Sunday. I am extremely excited to help with it, but there is one little problem: I have never set up a Bible Study before.

I am not quite sure where to start, but I do think that I want to come up with themes that relate to issues that teens like myself face on a daily basis. I tried looking through my Bible, but haven’t really been able to find anything yet. Any ideas?
 
T3 Teen Bible Timeline from Ascension press is a great affordable way for a parish to start a bible study for teens. But there should be a knowledgeable adult leader as well, although well-prepared teens could facilitate small group discussions. It is not necessary to purchase the workbooks, we don’t, but we have enough leader guides for each facilitator and the DVDs.

This is an initial 8-week or 8 session overview of Salvation history, with several extended topics in one-two session studies as follow-up.

there are also the 6 Weeks with the Bible series from Loyola press, which come in versions for teens, specifically so questions of relevance to them can be part of the discussion
 
If you prefer a text-based study that guides reading and gives topics for discussion, check out A Lamp For my Feet and a Light for my Path by Nancy Humes. It’s 20 lessons arranged around topics relevant to teens. It’s published by Emmaus Road, or is available at standard online bookstores.
 
I am not quite sure where to start, but I do think that I want to come up with themes that relate to issues that teens like myself face on a daily basis. I tried looking through my Bible, but haven’t really been able to find anything yet. Any ideas?
I haven’t participated in a group Bible study before. What I would like to have seen from the beginning of my journey is maybe some cool insights. Then introduce how the Bible has layers of meaning.

As catholics, we read the Bible as a whole - maybe a really good exercise is to follow “That Moses Thing”.

One story that caught my attention and led me to search for how to better understand it, was the Road to Emmaus. This opened up a whole new world on how the Bible works (for me anyway)

I placed these reflections on my blog here

bibleversereflections.blogspot.com/search/label/%273%20Road%20to%20Emmaus

I think all of us should be continually educated against atheism.
Once I blogged to an atheist why the Bible is special.

I responded by saying:
Now if God created everything then He knows how it (including us) works best.

If His wisdom was given to us in the form of a book then that book would be unfathomable - this matches the description of the Bible.

The Bible works on many levels - Literal - Allegorical - Moral -Anagogical Senses - no other book does or can.

As for wisdom - any wisdom you can find in the world will be found in the Bible.

I almost forgot the most important piece of advice - prayer.

God bless you and your journey.
(I have heard it said, if you want to learn something , teach it)
ps - sorry if my response is all over the place - a bit of this and a bit of that.
 
Thank you all for the responses so far! 👍

@ puzzleannie: There is an adult leader who is helping my sister and I put this together. He just wanted us to be more involved in setting the Bible Study up, so that we can relate to what we talk about. 🙂

@ JerryS: Would I be able to find this book at barnes and Noble or Borders?😃

@ Gusto: I clicked the “That Moses Thing” link and I can’t get it to work.😦 I would love to see it though. Thanks for the link to your blog; I will be sure to look at that ASAP and see what I can find for inspiration. 🙂
 
Ideas: rape, murder, war, poverty, death, violence, destruction, blood, rubber ducks, famine, gay pride, you know, the things teenagers like.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top