Thank God for purgatory!

• Thread starter Thread starter Racer_X
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Racer_X

But am I looking forward to purgatory!

I certainly don’t want to go to Hell. And wretched sinner that I am would never be able to face holy God in Heaven. Thank God for purgatory! I can hardly wait to have my sins removed, pulled out by the roots, washed away, my affliction healed.

Praise Jesus!

Kind of like going to the dentist. But when the teeth are all straigntened, capped, filled, cleaned and whitened, what a great appearance we can make!

JimG

Greetings beloved of God you need not wait for purgatory as it does not exsit anyway, Christ our glorious Lord and Saviour has already redeemed you from the curse of sin and death with his sacrifice on Calvary’s cross, your way to ensure your entrance into heaven is through daily repentance to God, Jesus has already paid the penalty for the sin of the world. May The Light Of God’s Truth embrace you and be revealed unto you, It is because of his mercies that we are not consumed great is his faithfulness. Forever In His Service, Evangelist K. Moore

Racer X:

I certainly don’t want to go to Hell. And wretched sinner that I am would never be able to face holy God in Heaven. Thank God for purgatory! I can hardly wait to have my sins removed, pulled out by the roots, washed away, my affliction healed.

Praise Jesus!
:amen:

HeavensMyChoice said:
** …Christ our glorious Lord and Saviour has already redeemed you from the curse of sin and death with his sacrifice on Calvary’s cross, your way to ensure your entrance into heaven is through daily repentance to God…**

Christ offers us a free gift of Grace and it is by that gift alone that we may hope to enter Heaven. As you indicate in your post, however, God does ask us to choose his gift and we indicate our acceptance by our actions. You mention repentence and this is certainly one of the Good Works we are called to do as part of the choice to accept his grace. There are, of course, many other works you failed to mention such as the corporal works of mercy, faith that Christ’s sacrifice is real, etc.

As to there being no Purgatory, you failed to convince me. 😉

We know for a fact there are states other than Heaven and Hell (for example the state where Christ went between his death and ressurection) and the case for purgatory has been championed by the Church, I think, for about as long as the case for the Trinity.

Racer X:
I can hardly wait to have my sins removed, pulled out by the roots, washed away, my affliction healed.

Praise Jesus!
Then don’t wait! A good confession and a sincere change of heart should do the trick! 🙂

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

**My precious brother in the faith it is not for me to convince you of anything for the word of God say’s in 1Co 3:4-7
for while one saith I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. My purpose is to tell what I have recieved as the truth, and pray God reveal his truth to them by his spirit, I do not operate by any doctrine but the doctrine of God i.e. his Holy Word. you mentioned where Christ went in between his death and his resurection please dear brother feel free to e-mail me and I will be happy to share what the lord has revealed to me, I do not want anyone to feel I am attacking any denomination or anyones faith as we are all members of the same body, therefore with the love of Christ I speak with you in the hopes of discovering more and more of HIS glorious truths, as I believe you do as well.

** May The Lord Our God Be Your onstant Shield and Light.**

Forever In His Service Evangelist K. Moore

Christ limited the redemptive effects of His suffering and death (purposely and intentionally). Too often, non-Catholics believe that an argument for Purgatory is a slap in the face to Christ’s redemptive sacrifice. It is not.

Example: Will all people everywhere go to heaven? Obviously, no. I think most, if not all, Protestants agree with that. But one could then argue: But Christ died for all our sins! He paid the price for all our sins! Why should anyone be sent to hell? The Protestant would say that this is easy - all you need to do is accept Christ as your personal Lord and Savior. Ahhh, but there’s the rub. If there is a qualifying factor - that you have to actually do something or believe something - then that means there is a limit to the effect of Christ’s sacrifice. In other words, the sacrifice is extended to all, but there still must be *some *cooperative act on our part.

Well, now that it has been shown that we all believe that Christ’s sacrifice is purposely limited with regard to salvation of all, then there is no good argument for saying that Purgatory undermines Christ’s sacrifice. You see, we all suffer. Paul says he rejoices in his suffering. And he talks about how he must suffer to make up for where Christ’s sufferings lacked! This, my friend, directly implies that we are to cooperate in Christ’s sufferings. Yes, He redeemed us from our sins. But the temporal effects remain. You will find nowhere in Scripture where we are completely redeemed from the *effects *of sin.

Purgatory is not onlyu Scriptural, but it is in accordance with Paul’s description of Christ’s sufferings and what they were to accomplish.

As for desiring Purgaotry, I don’t. Yes, I desire it from the perspective that it means I will make it to heaven some day. But I recommend a read of “After Life” by Michael Brown. These are private revelation, so we are not bound. But reading that book makes me NOT want to go to Purgatory! Take full advantage of your time down here…

HeavensMyChoice said:
…you mentioned where Christ went in between his death and his resurection please dear brother feel free to e-mail me and I will be happy to share what the lord has revealed to me, I do not want anyone to feel I am attacking any denomination or anyones faith as we are all members of the same body…**

Thank you for your kind words! It is certainly wonderful to have forums like this where people of good faith can discuss and hopefully come to a better understanding of Saviour, His grace, our future, and what is expected of us by Him on the road home.

Your comments to the effect of having a personal revelation from God concerning where Jesus went between death and ressurection trouble me. One of the things that I love so much about my Catholic Faith is that I have the comfort of knowing that I belong to an institution with an unbroken lineage going back to Christ and Peter. For almost 2000 years this Church has been passing on the Traditions that were handed out by Christ. I have come to trust completely in the Church’s ability to speak authoritatively on matters of Faith and Morals. It is a matter of Faith in the Catholic church that Christ did not spend that time preaching in either Heaven or Hell.

I certainly believe that God can speak directly to us in revelations, but those revelations do not carry authority, beyond the individual to whom they are directed, because no one else can objectively discern their true meaning and origin.

I share with you a desire not to attack anyones faith. My purpose is first and foremost to understand my own faith and share it with anyone who asks.

HeavensMyChoice said:
Greetings beloved of God you need not wait for purgatory as it does not exsit anyway, Christ our glorious Lord and Saviour has already redeemed you from the curse of sin and death with his sacrifice on Calvary’s cross, your way to ensure your entrance into heaven is through daily repentance to God, Jesus has already paid the penalty for the sin of the world. May The Light Of God’s Truth embrace you and be revealed unto you, It is because of his mercies that we are not consumed great is his faithfulness. Forever In His Service, Evangelist K. Moore

Then why do I keep on sinning?
Why is there so much suffering in the world?

Dont forget to pray for the souls in purgatory. Praying for them will help us get to heaven faster !

HeavensMyChoice said:

I missed the part where you somehow proved any of that??

I do not want anyone to feel I am attacking any denomination or anyones faith as we are all members of the same body, therefore with the love of Christ I speak with you in the hopes of discovering more and more of HIS glorious truths, as I believe you do as well.
Please, do share what you believe, and why you believe it. From my experience here, everyone on this board is more than appreciative of anyone sharing their faith in charity. As Catholics, we do not adhere to the “Once Saved, Always Saved” mentality. We believe that when St. Paul spoke of “working out [his] faith in fear and trembling” that that it was because he could lose his salvation. We believe that when John spoke of “some sins that are deadly” and “some sins that are not deadly”, he was distinguishing between sins that could take away our salvation and sins that offend God, but do not destroy our relationship with him. We believe that when Christ said “blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven in this world or the next”, that He implied that some sins would be forgiven after death. We believe that there in the possibility of a state after death that is not Heaven, nor Hell. Christ spoke of the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man, who both died. One was comforted in the Bosom of Abraham (not Heaven). The other was in torment, yet was still able to pray and ask for help from Lazarus. This could not have been Hell, as those in Hell are cut off from the righteous. Finally, we believe in Purgatory because St. Paul spoke of those who after death would “suffer loss” as through fire, “though they themselves would be saved”.

HeavensMyChoice said:
My precious brother in the faith it is not for me to convince you of anything for the word of God say’s in 1Co 3:4-7

Matt. 5:22-26
But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, ‘Raqa,’ will be answerable to the Sanhedrin, and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ will be liable to fiery Gehenna. Therefore, if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift. Settle with your opponent quickly while on the way to court with him. Otherwise your opponent will hand you over to the judge, and the judge will hand you over to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. Amen, I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.

Matt.12:32
. . . but whoever speaks against the holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.
1 Pet. 4:6
For this is why the gospel was preached even to the dead that, though condemned in the flesh in human estimation, they might live in the spirit in the estimation of God.
**1 Cor. 3:**15
But if someone’s work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, but only as through fire.
*And, FINALLY . . . . *
2 Thess. 2:15
Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, either by an oral statement or by a letter of ours.

Got faith . . . . ?

- Tempis Fugit Momento Mori

I have a question. For those who believe that once you are saved and always saved please explain how this is possible in light of Jesus own words:

See John 15:1-11 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit.”

(Here let’s us agree that he is talking about Christians because he is the vine and we are the branches.)

“You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you. Remain in me, as I remain in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me will be thrown out like a branch and wither; people will gather them and throw them into a fire and they will be burned.”

(It seems to me that Jesus is saying that you can lose your salvation after you are a Christian and be thrown into the fire. It doesn’t work with the once saved always saved thought process.)

“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it willl be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. As the Father loves me, so I also love you. Remain in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and remain in his love.”

I know I’ve stepped off the purgatory track a little bit, but it ties in with being saved once and for all which doesn’t make sense biblically.

God bless everyone for the loving exchange on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back