The Apocalypse

• Thread starter Thread starter starrs0
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starrs0

Can anyone give me any info as to how the Church veiws the Apocalypse like what is going to happen with regard to the possible Plauges/Judgments, events, the Antichrist… ect

Just a few leads for you, not a total answer. A pretty good book IMO is The Apocalypse: Biblical Revelation Explained by Rev. Patrick J. Sena. C.PP.S. (1983) Alba House. The “Rapture”, a concept promoted by various Protestant groups, is an erroneous understanding of this and various books of Holy Scripture. It is at least erroneous because it proposes that the faithful will be spared tribulation, whereas we know that Christians have never had such an understanding. Also, this Protestant notion has no historical origins, and we know that it is irrational to suppose that a teaching could be known only to some Christians at a point in history: what we believe has always been believed by Catholics, with the developments occurring over time being clarifications, not inventions: the Protestant notion would amount to a novel revelation.

The Church has not said who the different characters mentioned in Apocalypsis actually are. So, it is open to theological speculation, which must never contradict any established Church dogma. It seems to me that the two beasts will be (1) some form of increasingly borderless government/economics and (2) some form of non-dogmatic irenic religion. I don’t think it is given to us to know precisely what the details refer to. We are to have faith and to follow the virtues and commandments. There is a strong emphasis in The Apocalypse on penalty for faltering and degraded faith. The need for penance is emphasized.

But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold, not hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth. (*)

My brother told me about a book he just finished called The Rapture by David Currie. He said it was the most thorough explaination of the book of Revelation that he had ever read. I’m going to have to get a copy. He said it was well worth it.

I would like to suggest reading Scott Hahn’s The Lamb’s Supper for a solid, Catholic understanding of Revelation.

I concur about Scott Hahn’s Lamb’s Supper.

I also think that Fr. Stephen Duffin’s Cd or tape set on the Book of Revelations is wonderful. It is available at St. Joseph Radio.

http://www.stjosephradio.org/audiotapes.html

He is listed at that link.

I have really enjoyed listening to the Cd’s over and over. I have to listen to them when driving without a child who talks as much me :eek:

40.png
starrs0:
Can anyone give me any info as to how the Church veiws the Apocalypse like what is going to happen with regard to the possible Plauges/Judgments, events, the Antichrist… ect
The most comprehenseive Catholic treatment I’ve seen on this the Scott Hahn tapes series “The End.” It’s massive–11 tapes or 12 CDs. It covers the entire book of Revelation in detail, and now there’s even a comprehensive study guide. For more details, check here:

saintjoe.com/p/prod_desc.pl?id=169

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back