The Archangel/Saint Uriel

• Thread starter Thread starter UnworthySoul
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UnworthySoul

I asked in the “Ask and Apologist” forum and received a very quick reply. For that I’m appreciative, but my question went a little further than the reply covered. I figure this would be a good place to ask.

Four angels are named in the Bible: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Satan. Now, my question is one regarding Uriel. It’s my understanding that Uriel was considered an archangel by the Church, along with six others (named in the Book of Enoch). Now, in 745 Pope Zachary “removed” him from the ranks of “recognized” angels due to people getting a little carried away with overzealous revering of angels. Now, from what I’ve found, though no longer considered an angel, he was instead honored as a saint. I suppose what I’m curious about is why Uriel is barely ever mentioned in lists of saints (Catholic Encyclopedia’s list does not contain him). Has his status changed? And honestly, “removing” him as an angel? Seems a bit odd.

More of a curiousity I suppose but i’m appreciative of any answers you guys might be able to shed on this.

40.png
Pentecost2005:
Well, it IS a little obscure… :hmmm:
Apparently, everything’s obscure to you.

40.png
rjfern0407:
Apparently, everything’s obscure to you.
Well, if you want better answers, learn how to ask better questions. And lose the snotty attitude.

40.png
UnworthySoul:
I asked in the “Ask and Apologist” forum and received a very quick reply. For that I’m appreciative, but my question went a little further than the reply covered. I figure this would be a good place to ask.

Four angels are named in the Bible: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Satan. Now, my question is one regarding Uriel. It’s my understanding that Uriel was considered an archangel by the Church, along with six others (named in the Book of Enoch). Now, in 745 Pope Zachary “removed” him from the ranks of “recognized” angels due to people getting a little carried away with overzealous revering of angels. Now, from what I’ve found, though no longer considered an angel, he was instead honored as a saint. I suppose what I’m curious about is why Uriel is barely ever mentioned in lists of saints (Catholic Encyclopedia’s list does not contain him). Has his status changed? And honestly, “removing” him as an angel? Seems a bit odd.

More of a curiousity I suppose but i’m appreciative of any answers you guys might be able to shed on this.
Ancient apocryphal literature of the Old Testament contains several other names of Archangels. Like the sources themselves, these other names are spurious. Names like Uriel, Raguel, Sariel, and Jeremiel are not found in the canonical books of Sacred Scripture, but in the Apocryphal Jewish books of Enoch, fourth book of Esdras,[1] and in rabbinical literature. The Church does not permit proper names of Angels that are not found in the canonical books of the Bible. All such names that were taken from apocryphal writings were rejected under Pope Zachary, in 745, an in a synod held at Aix-la-Chapelle in 789 due to the confusion it caused. Uriel was never accepted in Catholic scripture nor tradition. They simply put a cap on it because of the abuse of mixing apocryphal Jewish Scriptures with the Canons of the Christian faith.

If Uriel was never accepted by the Church, then why was he formally removed as an angel and given the title of saint by Pope Zachary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back