The beginning of the Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter CeciliaS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CeciliaS

Guest
Hello, all,

I’ve got a question!

Officially, how is the beginning of the Mass signaled? I live in Europe, and have been to Mass here in two different countries. In both of these countries, a bell rings, and that is the signal for everyone to stand, at which time the procession starts and the processional hymn begins to be played and sung. That bell is generally hanging just outside the sacresty, and in an older church it is a beautiful bell, with a sort of “presence” that makes me think that this tradition is a longstanding one.

But I also noticed that in the U. S., where I lived for many years and where I attended Mass in many different parishes, the usual beginning is to have a cantor/song leader announce the first hymn, and then say “Please rise as we begin our celebration” or words to that effect. When the music begins, the procession begins, and I don’t remember any bell ever ringing.

Are these differences simply due to local traditions, or is one more correct than the other? Is there an official, liturgical practice that defines this moment?

Just wondering, hope someone can let me know.

CeciliaS
 
I don’t think there’s any requirement for a bell to be rung to signal the beginning of the Holy Mass. The GIRM says:
  1. After the people have gathered, the Entrance chant begins as the priest enters with the deacon and ministers. The purpose of this chant is to open the celebration, foster the unity of those who have been gathered, introduce their thoughts to the mystery of the liturgical season or festivity, and accompany the procession of the priest and ministers.
I also have a book on how to serve at Masses of the Extraordinary Form which instructs the server to ring the sacristy bell if there is one (well obviously one couldn’t ring it if it wasn’t there!). But the point is that some churches will have a bell - others won’t.

Certainly in Ireland, the beginning of the Holy Mass is always signalled by ringing the sacristy bell. The entrance hymn begins immediately after this. I can’t imagine that there is anything wrong with a cantor asking people to stand as the procession begins, instead of ringing a bell. However, I do think a bell is a good way to remind people that something important is about to begin - the same goes for the bell at the Sanctus & Consecration; no longer a requirement since all can hear what is happening and when, but it does add something. I even remember as a very young child being at Mass, obviously not understanding what was happening, but knowing that something very special was happening at the altar.

Perhaps someone might be able to shed some light on the practice of using bells at the beginning of Mass. I would suggest that there were practical as well as spiritual reasons - for example, perhaps as a sign to a choir in a big cathedral that Mass was beginning, if the sacristy area was not in the choir’s view…
 
I don’t know what it is officially, but from the various masses I’ve attended here in the States, it seems to depend on the parish. Some parishes have used a bell, others haven’t. Our parish uses a bell to signal the start of mass, although they still have the cantor do a welcome before the bell is rung. At the same parish, they also use the bell to begin weddings and funerals with no announcements, which is very nice because it signals the organist and cantor who are both in the choir loft for weddings and funerals when to begin the mass.
 
Vigil and Sundays we have the cantor making the cell phone announcement and then segueing into the “please rise” scenario.

Weekdays have get the bell. I think one of our sacristans must have been a boxer in his younger days given the way he attacks that thing!
 
Fr. will ask people to stand at the anticipated Mass; on Sunday he simply nods to the choir and they begin the entrance hymn. That’s the signal for everyone to stand.
 
FWIW, in pre-conciliar times ringing the sacristy bell was the norm, even in the US. Many parishes that now offer the EF seem to have restored its (the sacristy bell’s) use in general.
 
FWIW, in pre-conciliar times ringing the sacristy bell was the norm, even in the US. Many parishes that now offer the EF seem to have restored its (the sacristy bell’s) use in general.
I believe you are right with that. Now that I think of it, every EF mass I’ve ever attended rang the sacristy bell prior to mass.
 
Usually it begins when the ministers are coming out and a ready to begin. Then, the cantor usually begins the announcements and then the opening hymn begins.
 
FWIW, in pre-conciliar times ringing the sacristy bell was the norm, even in the US. Many parishes that now offer the EF seem to have restored its (the sacristy bell’s) use in general.
I think the sacristy bell was more for a low mass. In my experience, the procession would form in the narthex or back of the church for Sunday and festal masses, where there was not usually a bell.

I belie the use of a sacristy bell was more custom than law.
 
I think the sacristy bell was more for a low mass. In my experience, the procession would form in the narthex or back of the church for Sunday and festal masses, where there was not usually a bell.
From my experience, it was (and is) used in the EF in general. Often, the procession starts at the sacristy, enters the church proper, proceeds up the side aisle and then down the center. But I’ve seen cases such as you describe, so I suppose the point where the procession for High Mass begins (and whether a bell is rung) could depend on the physical layout, the weather, and the occasion.

FWIW, I’ve even known a sacristy bell to be used in some Eastern and Oriental churches. Perhaps it’s a latinization, but to me it’s a harmless one.
 
From my experience, it was (and is) used in the EF in general. Often, the procession starts at the sacristy, enters the church proper, proceeds up the side aisle and then down the center. But I’ve seen cases such as you describe, so I suppose the point where the procession for High Mass begins (and whether a bell is rung) could depend on the physical layout, the weather, and the occasion.
Yes - that’s what I was getting at earlier. The logistical element in using a bell. Obviously it does depend on the design of the church, but even on days when we have a full procession, I think there’s only one day per year when the procession begins at the narthex - the Chrism Mass on Holy Thursday. On other days the procession comes from the sacristy area, and they can take a short, long, or longer(!) route to the sanctuary. However, as a musician in the gallery at the back of a large cathedral, I know that the bell is invaluable for us. We can’t actually see either of the sacristy doors - simply because of the layout (columns &c.) - plus the organist has his back to the altar and the sacristy and would only be relying on a mirror! In fact, I would say that the bell is most useful when the powers that be decide to take the short route to the sanctuary, because it means that we have to start the hymn very swiftly to try to get all the verses in:D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top