J
joshvanrad
Guest
A couple threads in here have raised some concerns to me. There has been some discussion about obesity and gluttony. I am fully aware that the two things do not always go together, but in my own observations I would say that they are linked more often than not.
I am one of the people who could spare a few pounds and I don’t eat as well as I should, sometimes I over eat, and I don’t always workout as often as I should. I am not obese but I am certainly over my ideal weight. “Ideal weight” not referring to body image, but referring to health standards.
Now the real deep stuff:
If the body is the temple of God, a vessel for His works, and a gift from God- why would you not treat it as such? Destroying that temple should be just as sinful as some of the other hot-topic sins (ie: masturbation). People overlook and under emphasize gluttony, as it would seem- one of the seven deadly sins. As a culture we have become conditioned to view this form of over indulgence as “just the way it is”.
I understand that there are certain medical conditions that can lead to obesity, and those are very very difficult situations to deal with. People with those struggles certainly deserve our prayers because they have a true illness, but for the person like me who is healthy and just falls short from time to time… are we not responsible for our own actions?
My questions here, are:
Why is it acceptable in our culture to fall into this form of sin (gluttony, lack of temperance, etc)?
Do you go to confession for your spells of overeating, or have you confessed your falling short and the abuse of The Body: A Temple for God?
Why are these sins more acceptable than those of lust and wrath and pride?
I know this is a touchy subject as many people struggle with or have watched family members struggle with obesity, but I would like this thread to remain civil. This is not a thread on body image or how people “should be rail-thin” )as portrayed by the media- it is a discussion on the lack of emphasis on the body being a gift from God, the abuse of that gift, and gluttony. I will close the thread if the discussion turns into negativity and name calling- I don’t want to see a war.
Ite in pace,
Joshua C.
I am one of the people who could spare a few pounds and I don’t eat as well as I should, sometimes I over eat, and I don’t always workout as often as I should. I am not obese but I am certainly over my ideal weight. “Ideal weight” not referring to body image, but referring to health standards.
Now the real deep stuff:
If the body is the temple of God, a vessel for His works, and a gift from God- why would you not treat it as such? Destroying that temple should be just as sinful as some of the other hot-topic sins (ie: masturbation). People overlook and under emphasize gluttony, as it would seem- one of the seven deadly sins. As a culture we have become conditioned to view this form of over indulgence as “just the way it is”.
I understand that there are certain medical conditions that can lead to obesity, and those are very very difficult situations to deal with. People with those struggles certainly deserve our prayers because they have a true illness, but for the person like me who is healthy and just falls short from time to time… are we not responsible for our own actions?
My questions here, are:
Why is it acceptable in our culture to fall into this form of sin (gluttony, lack of temperance, etc)?
Do you go to confession for your spells of overeating, or have you confessed your falling short and the abuse of The Body: A Temple for God?
Why are these sins more acceptable than those of lust and wrath and pride?
I know this is a touchy subject as many people struggle with or have watched family members struggle with obesity, but I would like this thread to remain civil. This is not a thread on body image or how people “should be rail-thin” )as portrayed by the media- it is a discussion on the lack of emphasis on the body being a gift from God, the abuse of that gift, and gluttony. I will close the thread if the discussion turns into negativity and name calling- I don’t want to see a war.
Ite in pace,
Joshua C.