The constant fight against sin

• Thread starter Thread starter Melodi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Melodi

Hi, I’m a newbie here, so don’t know if this has been discussed before, if so, I am happy to go look for it.

I have recently started growing in my faith and as a result have been a lot more conscious of my sins. I am praying, studying the bible and just spending more time thinking being with God in my day to day life.

At first, I was elated, I was full of joy of the renewed connection with the Lord. It encouraged me to be more vigilant in my actions and thoughts. And as a result it seems that I keep on failing… I start every day committed to being better, more loving, more merciful. And it seems not five minutes later I am frustrated, angry, selfish, unkind… if I catch myself I pray, and it often helps, and I thank God for his helping hand. But then the next moment comes and it all starts again…

My question is, am I the exception? Does anyone else feel like living well is a constant battle? I am ready to fight the fight if that’s what is needed, but maybe I am going about it the wrong way?

I am a selfish person, this is something in particular that I am struggling to overcome. Many of my sins stem from not being able to put others ahead of myself. If and when I do, I feel resentful and this resentment often builds and when I am not able to shed it, I am back at square one. I know prayer is the answer, but maybe someone has any practical tips?

Thank you!

No. You are not exceptional. We are all the same. We all have high hopes for ourselves but we find that invariably we fall short.

If I had my time again I would be a better son. A better brother. A better husband. A better father. A better person.

But life is a learning experience. We don’t get a second chance. So we make mistakes and we learn from them. That’s your best hope: Do the best you can, accept that it won’t always be the very best. But learn from the failures and make sure they guide you in your search to be that better person.

May your faith help you in that search.

Last edited:
Your experience is absolutely common, it is mine after decades of Christian life, it is everyone’s.

Feeling good people, feeling better than others, saying “well, now I’m just starting to behave really well”, that’s the edge of the abyss, and you seem far from it.

Hi, I’m a newbie here, so don’t know if this has been discussed before, if so, I am happy to go look for it.

I have recently started growing in my faith and as a result have been a lot more conscious of my sins. I am praying, studying the bible and just spending more time thinking being with God in my day to day life.

At first, I was elated, I was full of joy of the renewed connection with the Lord. It encouraged me to be more vigilant in my actions and thoughts. And as a result it seems that I keep on failing… I start every day committed to being better, more loving, more merciful. And it seems not five minutes later I am frustrated, angry, selfish, unkind… if I catch myself I pray, and it often helps, and I thank God for his helping hand. But then the next moment comes and it all starts again…

My question is, am I the exception? Does anyone else feel like living well is a constant battle? I am ready to fight the fight if that’s what is needed, but maybe I am going about it the wrong way?

I am a selfish person, this is something in particular that I am struggling to overcome. Many of my sins stem from not being able to put others ahead of myself. If and when I do, I feel resentful and this resentment often builds and when I am not able to shed it, I am back at square one.
As Proverbs 24:16 says, “For the righteous falleth seven times, and riseth up again; but the wicked stumble into disaster.”.

That happens. The fight with a vice can take years, decades (it can’t take centuries, but then, people do not live for centuries). Just repent and try to avoid it next time.
I know prayer is the answer, but maybe someone has any practical tips?
Well, there are some things you can try in addition to prayer (hopefully, in prayer you include confession).

For example, you can simply count the number of sins, as if “incrementing the counter” each time you commit one. That is going to be useful for confession (naturally, for that, you should start from zero after each confession). It is also something recommended by St. Ignatius Loyola (Louis J. Puhl, SJ Translation - The Spiritual Exercises | St. Ignatius of Loyola).

For another example, you can try to identify and avoid occasions of sin. Maybe, to “brainstorm”, you will find you are at least slightly kinder after more sleep, a cup of coffee, petting a dog, a cat, a Teddy bear, looking at a cute or religious image? You might note that counting sins is something that might help to find such useful facts.

Holy communion is also known to help resist temptation (see, for example, Summa Theologica - St. Thomas Aquinas, “Summa Theologiae”, Third Part, Question 79, Article 6). Conveniently enough, in this time of pandemic there are many Masses being livestreamed (for example, https://mass-online.org/ has many links). In many cases the prayer of Spiritual Communion is said or shown for the benefit of viewers. Maybe that will also help at least a little.

You have good company it seems - from Romans 7:

I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. 17 So then it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin which dwells within me.”

The deeper one goes in their faith, the more aware of their sin - and need for a savior - they become. St. Paul certainly understood where you’re coming from. The good news is that this awareness is the Holy Spirit working within you. Hang in there - only a chapter later, Paul writes:

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Last edited:
The spiritual life be like that sometimes.

I find my soul to be like a garden where I’m constantly pulling weeds

I am more cafeteria catholic, I am not orthodox and strictly observant Catholic, that is why I am putting my Catholic faith in the wider perspective. And my conclusion is this: Catholic teaching too much focuses on the improving the man and his behavior: have chaste thoughts, be smiling and welcoming, have clear heart, be aware of constant failings and sinfulness etc. Instead - we should more focus on improving our deeds and skills: ultimately the deeds and actions determines what we are. There is such parable “Making makes the maker”, we grow by doing, by acting. In that way be gather experience and feedback.

So - I am taking this perspective - I am building my science and technology startup and it will make good. And that is my vocation and focus and yardstick for my achievements and personality. And this attitude puts the perspective on “sinfulness” and clears lot of things.

I guess, there are persons with disabilities for whom this perspective does not work and who lives from the grace of God, it happens. But for persons with options the deeds are everything, they are fruits.

Last edited:
Everyone goes through this!!!

And the good thing is that you’re trying to improve. You’re praying to God. With time a lot of the sins will be able to lessen. It takes time to form habits so it takes time to reverse them too.

Be patient with yourself. God is merciful and PATIENT <3

Make use of the sacrament of confession it can really help to cut out sin.

You’re doing a great job

Thank you all for your encouragement, advice and wisdom. I knew logically that I must not be the only one, but seeing it said gives me strength and enthusiasm to carry on. Thank you for tips and tricks as well, I will try them out.

I will admit that confession is something that I have neglected to do for too long. I will remedy that.

I have been struggling with sadness and hopeless that come with realising just how weak and not nice (cannot find the correct word) I am. I know that this is a byproduct of me actually acknowledging my shortcomings, which is a good thing. I know that the Lord loves me even still. Nevertheless, I keep thinking, that it was easier before. To be a little blind. If you too have these feelings, how do you manage them? I don’t want to say to myself ‘oh it’s ok, don’t worry’, because it is not ok. I don’t want to minimise my wrongs. Maybe you are right, confession is the answer.

St Paul said “when I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child. When I became a man, I put away childish things”.

The Christian Life is a process of growth. When you began to begin practicing your faith, you began to grow.

Like learning to walk, ride a bike, drive a car, play an instrument, code, do your makeup, bake, as you practice you gain strength and wisdom.

Keep practicing your faith. When you fail, learn from that.

Life is an ongoing battle to grow spiritually. We are called to persevere to the end.

. . . I know prayer is the answer, but maybe someone has any practical tips?
A very helpful and practical text - which insists on the “fight or die” principle in the spiritual life - is Dom Scupoli’s “Spiritual Combat.” It’s online for free. St. Francis de Sales apparently read from it every day once he obtained a copy (I think from Scupoli himself).

My question is, am I the exception? Does anyone else feel like living well is a constant battle? I am ready to fight the fight if that’s what is needed, but maybe I am going about it the wrong way
Prayer and fasting is the recommended method Jesus said. Isaiah 58 .
It’s more than not eating chocolate or watching tv. A 21 day daniel fast breaks sin strongholds.

@Melodi, I relate 100%.

As for why I sin, it is due to a weak will power, but that is my own fault. The following advice I can offer helps me, and I hope you as well, and that is meditate on the life of Jesus, who is God, and subjected Himself on earth to the laws of nature: He was hungry, thirsty, cold, weary, sleepy; but Jesus, who is God, subjected Himself on earth to the laws of morale: He felt tedium, fear, sadness; He rejoiced in friendship, was horrified by betrayal, trembled to the point of sweating blood at the thought of what He had to suffer, and prayed like a humble man in need of everything. Jesus, too, possessed a soul.

He was fully human, though due to His stronger will power, and God the Father’s help, He was able to resist all temptation, and thus not commit sin. He was fully divine in His thoughts and actions. We are taught to imitate Him, as He is proof we can succeed as well if we do.

Additionally, never be satisfied with a comparison with those around you. Let Jesus’s words ring out: “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in Heaven is perfect”. Stop short at nothing less. Make it your practice to review your character — take it in relation to life, to your dear ones, your household, friends, acquaintances, your country, your work. See where Jesus, in the same relation or circumstances or situation, should act differently. Plan how best such and a such a fault can be eradicated, or such and such sin, mistake, or omission, be avoided. A weekly review at least you must have.

And, see not the small trials and vexations of each hour of the day. See the one purpose and plan to which all are leading. If in climbing a mountain you keep your eyes on each stony or difficult place, as you ascend, seeing only that, how weary and profitless your climb.

But, if you think of each step as leading to the summit of achievement, from which glories and beauties will open out before you, then your climb will be so different.

You must be as one who runs the race, stumbles and falls, rises and presses on to the goal. What avails it if he stays to examine the spot where he fell, to weep over the delay, over the shortsightedness that prevented his avoiding the obstacles? No looking back. Give yourself and all you have ever met a fresh start from today. Remember no more their sins and failures, or your own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back