K
kevdlandrig
Guest
I’ve gotten into a discussion with a Protestant friend of mine about the books in the bible. His argument as to the Catholic “extra” books is that when Jesus was talking to the Pharisees, He told them:
" 34"Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city,
35so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar.
36"Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation”
In his argument, my friend says that this means that there were no prophets after Zachariah, and that the ‘Apocrypha’ therefore, does not belong in the bible, because the prophets came after Zachariah.
My Counterarguments are thus: (I’m unsure of this one) The Prophets of the Deuterocanon did, in fact come before Zachariah.
Jesus was speaking in alphabetical order, not Chronological order. (Does the alphabet work the same in the Ancient languages?)
Jesus and His Apostles quoted many parts of each of the deuterocanonical books throughout the four Gospels. However, I need to find some of these quotes and have had trouble doing so. Can someone please help me to find both the quotes, and where they are located in the Apocrypha and the Gospel?
Thanks for all of your help in advance and God Bless.
" 34"Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city,
35so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar.
36"Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation”
In his argument, my friend says that this means that there were no prophets after Zachariah, and that the ‘Apocrypha’ therefore, does not belong in the bible, because the prophets came after Zachariah.
My Counterarguments are thus: (I’m unsure of this one) The Prophets of the Deuterocanon did, in fact come before Zachariah.
Jesus was speaking in alphabetical order, not Chronological order. (Does the alphabet work the same in the Ancient languages?)
Jesus and His Apostles quoted many parts of each of the deuterocanonical books throughout the four Gospels. However, I need to find some of these quotes and have had trouble doing so. Can someone please help me to find both the quotes, and where they are located in the Apocrypha and the Gospel?
Thanks for all of your help in advance and God Bless.