The Easter Faith and Ezekiel 37:1-14

  • Thread starter Thread starter djeter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

djeter

Guest
http://payingattentiontothesky.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/easterimage.jpg?w=366&h=333

The hand of the Lord came upon me, and he brought me out by the spirit of the Lord and set me down in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. He led me all around them; there were very many lying in the valley, and they were very dry. He said to me, “Mortal, can these bones live?” I answered, “O Lord God, you know.”

Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones, and say to them: O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. Thus says the Lord God to these bones: I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live. I will lay sinews on you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord.” So I prophesied as I had been commanded; and as I prophesied, suddenly there was a noise, a rattling, and the bones came together, bone to its bone. I looked, and there were sinews on them, and flesh had come upon them, and skin had covered them; but there was no breath in them.

Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, mortal, and say to the breath: Thus says the Lord God: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.” I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood on their feet, a vast multitude.

Then he said to me, “Mortal, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They say, ‘Our bones are dried up, and our hope is lost; we are cut off completely.’ Therefore prophesy, and say to them, Thus says the Lord God: I am going to open your graves, and bring you up from your graves, O my people; and I will bring you back to the land of Israel. And you shall know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves, and bring you up from your graves, O my people. I will put my spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you on your own soil; then you shall know that I, the Lord, have spoken and will act,” says the Lord.
Ezekiel 37:1-14

Aided by this Jewish backdrop, the disciples formulated how the Easter event was in continuity with the history of the earthly Christ while it also brought a radical transformation. Fr. Jose Granados situates the paschal mystery in relation to the historical faith of Israel and in relation to the human experience of time and matter.

In the resurrection the history of Jesus, which includes in itself the history of humanity, is totally subsumed in the current of love that unites Father and Son: “Easter inaugurates the time of Jesus’ promise, which holds days, years and centuries together.”

A selection from Fr. Granados’ essay here:

payingattentiontothesky.com/2010/08/02/the-easter-faith-and-its-meaning-in-history/

Fr. Granados is Assistant Professor of Patrology and Philosophy of the Body at the Pontifical John Paul II Institute for Studies on Marriage and the Family at The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top