A
Abba
Guest
This afternoon I thought to relax and read a little. It was between reading the book of Luke or skimming some books from my un-skimmed/un-read book shelf.
I decided to explore the book shelf. Well, one of the books I just picked was The Enneagram: A Journey of Self Discovery by Maria Beesing, O.P, Robert J. Nogosek, C.S.C. and Patrick H. OâLeary, S.J.
One of my hobbies is to go to book sales, used book stores, etc⌠and buy books on the Catholic Faith, Jewish Faith and Philosophy. I have about 5,000 all together but the total includes other topics. At the sales I go directly to the religion section and start putting in my bag the Catholic books and quickly anything written by a priest or that has a nihil obstat, etcâŚ
So, this afternoon I selected this book which was written by two priests and a nun. They say that they are going to present a spiritual system which originated with Catholic monks and was taken to the east where it was adopted by the Sufis about 2,000 years ago and lost to the Church. And, I start rubbing my chin and kept reading.
Well, for a few minutes I found the personality type theory interesting but, it started to seem like the horoscope. I remember going to a presentation years ago from a visiting professor from maybe the University of Chicago who was specializing as a psychologist in personality. It was a new thing and not sure if there was enough there to specialize, but it was interesting. So, I kept reading this book also with the interest of psychology in my mind. Although, the writers quote the Bible they do not quote the Bible to justify or note how this system is Christian but, it is more like a use of the Bible to further express the theory.
I feel really good about myself.
I recognize that I am very ignorant about my faith in many things but, although this book was written by a nun and two priests I immediately decided that it was not Catholic. I just stopped to think, wait a minute; so when Jesus approaches us He is seeing us as a âtypeâ or is recognizing our character type
⌠I, of course, will not waist my time to finish skimming the book.
I thought to start a thread here and find out what other people thought about it, but then I googled it and found a pretty accurate evaluation by Father Mitch Pacwa, S.J., here: catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=2622&CFID=24032314&CFTOKEN=55490758
So, I guess everyone knows that the enneagram is not Christian. What I find extraordinary is that religious and priests could have gone as far as to write a book on it and to even give retreats on such a spirituality which to a laity it becomes evident almost immediately that it is not Christian.
How can this come to pass?
One of my hobbies is to go to book sales, used book stores, etc⌠and buy books on the Catholic Faith, Jewish Faith and Philosophy. I have about 5,000 all together but the total includes other topics. At the sales I go directly to the religion section and start putting in my bag the Catholic books and quickly anything written by a priest or that has a nihil obstat, etcâŚ
So, this afternoon I selected this book which was written by two priests and a nun. They say that they are going to present a spiritual system which originated with Catholic monks and was taken to the east where it was adopted by the Sufis about 2,000 years ago and lost to the Church. And, I start rubbing my chin and kept reading.
Well, for a few minutes I found the personality type theory interesting but, it started to seem like the horoscope. I remember going to a presentation years ago from a visiting professor from maybe the University of Chicago who was specializing as a psychologist in personality. It was a new thing and not sure if there was enough there to specialize, but it was interesting. So, I kept reading this book also with the interest of psychology in my mind. Although, the writers quote the Bible they do not quote the Bible to justify or note how this system is Christian but, it is more like a use of the Bible to further express the theory.
I feel really good about myself.
I thought to start a thread here and find out what other people thought about it, but then I googled it and found a pretty accurate evaluation by Father Mitch Pacwa, S.J., here: catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=2622&CFID=24032314&CFTOKEN=55490758
So, I guess everyone knows that the enneagram is not Christian. What I find extraordinary is that religious and priests could have gone as far as to write a book on it and to even give retreats on such a spirituality which to a laity it becomes evident almost immediately that it is not Christian.
How can this come to pass?