The Fatima Prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter AWall
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AWall

Hello. When saying the rosary, is saying the Fatima prayer optional? And if you choose to say it, is the line, “save us from the fires of hell” optional?

I ask because of a handout we received in RCIA which had that line omitted from the prayer, which surprised me. Everything I’ve found thus far online has included that line.

Thank you for any info you can give me.

Andrea

40.png
AWall:
Hello. When saying the rosary, is saying the Fatima prayer optional? And if you choose to say it, is the line, “save us from the fires of hell” optional?

I ask because of a handout we received in RCIA which had that line omitted from the prayer, which surprised me. Everything I’ve found thus far online has included that line.

Thank you for any info you can give me.

Andrea
Your surprise is mine I have never seen or heard the prayer exclude
save us from the fires of hell
. And there is no dogmatic reason for its exclusion in the Catholic Faith as the belief in hell is a tenet or doctrine of our faith. I would ask your instructor or DRE if this is a misprint.

:hmmm:

The Fatima Prayer is optional but most people I know say it. I am surprised to hear about that line being omitted. I have never come across that before. I wonder if the handout was put together by someone who doesn’t believe in Hell.

Save us from the fires of Hell is probably the whole point of the prayer. Francisco, Jacinta and Lucia were aged 7, 9 and 10 when the apparitions began so that should tell us how important the message was, that Our Blessed Mother showed those three young children a terrifying vision of hell.

In her Memoirs, Sister Lucy describes the vision of hell that Our Lady showed the children at Fatima: ***
"She opened Her hands once more, as She had done the two previous months. The rays [of light] appeared to penetrate the earth, and we saw, as it were, a vast sea of fire. Plunged in this fire, we saw the demons and the souls [of the damned]. The latter were like transparent burning embers, all blackened or burnished bronze, having human forms.

They were floating about in that conflagration, now raised into the air by the flames which issued from within themselves, together with great clouds of smoke. Now they fell back on every side like sparks in huge fires, without weight or equilibrium, amid shrieks and groans of pain and despair, which horrified us and made us tremble with fright (it must have been this sight which caused me to cry out, as people say they heard me).

The demons were distinguished [from the souls of the damned] by their terrifying and repellent likeness to frightful and unknown animals, black and transparent like burning coals.

That vision only lasted for a moment, thanks to our good Heavenly Mother, Who at the first apparition had promised to take us to Heaven. Without that, I think that we would have died of terror and fear."***

I agree with the posters. While the Fatima prayer itself is optional it doesn’t make sense to pray it but leave out a crucial part of it.

Thanks. Well, I double-checked the handout we were given. It was our weekly “assignment” sheet. One of our optional activities is to pray the Fatima prayer, and that line is left out. I think I will ask on Monday if it was a typo.

Andrea

40.png
AWall:
I think I will ask on Monday if it was a typo.
It might be because some inquirers could have issues with it at this point. So, out of prudence, it was removed, although I don’t think that it should be removed.

:blessyou:

I remeber once our priest was leading a rosary (Iforget what the occasion was) and at the end of every decade we all started in with the fatima prayer, but he omitted it. It was funny because out of habit we kept starting to say it after every decade and he would stop and not say it. It was weird, like the rosary for the indifferent.

Never heard of this before. All the public rosary prayers I’ve ever attended included the whole Fatima Prayer in it. :confused:

That prayer has got to be so familiar to me that I find myself automatically saying it immediately after I say the Glory Be!

😃

It almost seems that whoever wrote the prayer excluding the line “save us from the fires of hell” might be denying the very existence of hell:

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, lead all souls to heaven, especially those in most need of thy mercy.
This could imply that we have but one destination. That is, heaven. It just might be more difficult for some of us to get there than others.

That is of course heresy. Let’s hope it is merely a typo!

Just in case, Andrea should question the RCIA instructor about this.

I think they are trying to make the prayer more politically correct, so to speak. Nowadays it seems like people are uncomfortable in talking about Hell, esp in the vivid imagry we find in the Fatima prayer.

I leave the prayer out sometimes in my private Rosary, but I’ve always heard it said in a public setting. I’ve read the story of the visions at Fatima and they were very vivid and it’s really an inspiring story. The Church looked into it quite extensively before authenticating it.

I always include it but anyway if the Fatima prayer is used it should be prayed in its entirety.
When we confess our sins the prime reason should be because we are sorry for having offended God who loves us, but also it is to save us from the fires of hell.

Well, I discreetly asked at RCIA last night if the way the Fatima prayer was printed was a typo because of it’s missing line. The woman said it was indeed a typo and she led the group in the correct form of the prayer.

I’m very relieved as we don’t want to be given incorrect info!!

Andrea

This may be a silly question, but here goes.
Did you ask whether or not there was a typographic error in the pamphlet?
That would be where I would start.
This would give you the opportunity to share to full version of the prayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back