The fish symbol

• Thread starter Thread starter Anna_s_Mom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anna_s_Mom

I asked an apoligist but didn’t get a response.
Can anyone tell me what the fish symbol means? I recieved a necklace a few years back with this symbol. I had forgotten I had it until recently, and don’t want to wear it unless I know what it means.

Anna's Mom:
I asked an apoligist but didn’t get a response.
Can anyone tell me what the fish symbol means? I recieved a necklace a few years back with this symbol. I had forgotten I had it until recently, and don’t want to wear it unless I know what it means.
I believe that in the Greek alphabet the first letters for “Jesus Christ, God’s Son, Savior” are ICTHUS. Icthus means fish. So it’s kind of a play on words.

40.png
SMHW:
I believe that in the Greek alphabet the first letters for “Jesus Christ, God’s Son, Savior” are ICTHUS. Icthus means fish. So it’s kind of a play on words.
Which, I think, is called an acrostic? It was used in the earliest Church as a symbol of Christians, when they were under intense persecution.

yeah, i learned at VBS that early Christians used to draw half of a fish in the sand while talking to somebody and if the other person was Christian they would complete the fish and they could trust each other…if not, the other person wouldn’t think anything of it. i thought it was pretty cool. plus, Peter (and many of the Apostles i think) were fishermen, so the fish symbol might pertain to that as well as ICTHUS. just a thought…
~Cecilia

Old thread, but i think the fish is a symbol of when jesus got one bread and one fish and gave it to his belongers

“Anna’s Mom” well from what I know…which is not much…I believe that the fish symbol was used by Catholics in the past who were persecuted for their faith the Fish or rather “FSH”…Father Son and Holy Spirit would secretly identify Catholics among fellow Catholics…But don’t quote me on any of that…Chuck it out the window if it aint true…Alls I know for sure is that FSH…(Fish)…stands for the trinity, Father Son and Holy Spirit.

God bless.

I know what I am about to say is from a Dan Brown book, so don’t complain if its wrong…

Did the fish not represent an era of time which was set to change I think it was something like piseces or aquariae, now that time has changed or something.

Anyone read The DaVinci Code who can say wether this is right or wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back