The gift of a Sacramental

• Thread starter Thread starter Primitive
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Primitive

For any women especially:
I have a female friend who is very close to my heart and I wanted to get her a nice little gift for the Birth of Our Lord this Christmas. I was going to get a nice gold necklace and a pendant to go on it and have it blessed. However, I don’t know the best pendant to put on it. She is Catholic, so I want to get a Crucifix and not just a plain “cross”…However, there are also things like a Miraculous Medal or something I could get like a saints pendant…
So, any Catholic women know the best choice???

40.png
Dorothy:
Perhaps she would like a beautiful new Rosary?
I thought about that, and maybe soon I will do that too…I wanted to get that from somewhere special like if I go on a trip…

I could be wrong about your friend’s taste, but some people do not like to wear anything around their neck, or they may already have a chain and crucifix at home. Maybe someone knows?

Anyway, the reason I suggested a Rosary is because it is not worn, and a very popular Catholic gift.

40.png
Dorothy:
I could be wrong about your friend’s taste, but some people do not like to wear anything around their neck, or they may already have a chain and crucifix at home. Maybe someone knows?

Anyway, the reason I suggested a Rosary is because it is not worn, and a very popular Catholic gift.
I thought about her taste and to be honest, I guess I just felt like taking the risk…I like your suggestion too, but buying gifts for women is always a gamble for me 🙂
Is it common for women to not like Jewlery when they are Catholic? I read about St. Gemma Galgani a while ago and she was not one to wear jewlery…
and thank you!!!

You’re welcome.

I do know many Catholic women who wear jewelry. Some like to, and some don’t.

Unless you know that she has a specific devotion to the Blessed Mother, saint etc, I would stick with a tasteful crucifix.

cheddar

Maybe I shouldn’t be responding because I’m not a woman but there are certain promises associated with devotely wearing certain Sacramental. For example, the person who devotely wears a Crucifix will be blessed with a happy death. “Great graces” are promised to those that devotely wear the Miraculous Medal. Etc.

Just a thought but maybe you should look at what each Sacramental can offer and you THAT to decide on what to get.

I love, love, love my crucifix and wear it every day.

My personal opinion is the crucifix.

A rosary is an awesome gift also!

40.png
Primitive:
For any women especially:
I have a female friend who is very close to my heart and I wanted to get her a nice little gift for the Birth of Our Lord this Christmas. I was going to get a nice gold necklace and a pendant to go on it and have it blessed. However, I don’t know the best pendant to put on it. She is Catholic, so I want to get a Crucifix and not just a plain “cross”…However, there are also things like a Miraculous Medal or something I could get like a saints pendant…
So, any Catholic women know the best choice???
I voted other, because of what I highlighted in your statement. I’ve been given many lovely pieces of gold jewelry that now sit in their lovely jewelry store boxes tucked away in my dresser because I don’t like gold. My wedding ring, miraculous medal ring and crucifix are all sterling silver. The only pair of earrings I wear are also s.s. Jewlery, at least for me, is a very personal choice. Besides the gold vs. s.s, size is a major variable. There is a woman who attends daily Mass with me who wears, what I consider to be a huge crucifix (around 3-4 inches long). I would never wear anything that big. The crucifix I wear is about 1 1/2", and that is actually a little larger than I prefer.

Why not buy her a rosary or home water font? If she likes to read you could get her a book about the saints or one specific saint. There are many options out there.

This is just my :twocents: .

frankly some of my medals were quite inexpensive, and I would love to have any of them in silver or gold with matching chains, the reason is I am allergic to most other metals.

I voted other, because it is so difficult to buy jewelery for someone else. I have boxes of lovely necklaces, braclets etc that I almost never wear. They are all lovely but just not my taste. When my husband has given me jewelery, we alway went to a store together .
Why not buy her a book, a CD of sacred music, rosary or a holy water font? If you don’t want to buy a rosary, you could get a chaplet or a 1 decade pocket rosary (eg. an Irish penal rosary).

Gearoidin

What about a charm bracelet with different saints, the Miraculous Medal you can add just about any thing to the charm bracelets. I have seen some and they are feel beautiful!!

I think the crucifix sounds nice. Unless she has a particular devotion to Mary or a saint, then the medals may be more appropriate…a rosary is always a nice idea too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back