The Holy Spirit

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike67
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike67

Guest
I belong to a parish that brings in a priest from another parish to fill in when our pastor does other things. This visiting priest does something that is very disturbing during mass. When reciting the Nicene Creed, he uses “she” instead of He when referring to The Holy Spirit. I don’t know if the rest of the congregation notices, but I do. I was so distressed that I sent an email to our bishop and was told to first confront the priest. What do you all think I should do, as he is due back this weekend?
 
I belong to a parish that brings in a priest from another parish to fill in when our pastor does other things. This visiting priest does something that is very disturbing during mass. When reciting the Nicene Creed, he uses “she” instead of He when referring to The Holy Spirit. I don’t know if the rest of the congregation notices, but I do. I was so distressed that I sent an email to our bishop and was told to first confront the priest. What do you all think I should do, as he is due back this weekend?
Follow the sound advice of your bishop. Try to resolve the issue charitably on the parish level before going back to the bishop.
 
I would second that advise. It’s amazing how some priest put in there own words during the mass. I remember one occasion upon hearing a mass the priest added the words “from mother earth” when offering the elements.
 
When you talk to the priest about using the “she” in the Creed, be sure to bring your Catechism of the Catholic Church. Here is the section concerning the Titles of the Holy Spirit. I bolded some pertinent sections:

The proper name of the Holy Spirit
691
“Holy Spirit” is the proper name of the one whom we adore and glorify with the Father and the Son. The Church has received this name from the Lord and professes it in the Baptism of her new children.16
The term “Spirit” translates the Hebrew word ruah, which, in its primary sense, means breath, air, wind. Jesus indeed uses the sensory image of the wind to suggest to Nicodemus the transcendent newness of him who is personally God’s breath, the divine Spirit.17 On the other hand, “Spirit” and “Holy” are divine attributes common to the three divine persons. By joining the two terms, Scripture, liturgy, and theological language designate the inexpressible person of the Holy Spirit, without any possible equivocation with other uses of the terms “spirit” and “holy.”
Titles of the Holy Spirit
[692](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/692.htm’)😉
When he proclaims and promises the coming of the Holy Spirit, Jesus calls him the “Paraclete,” literally, “he who is called to one’s side,” ad-vocatus.18 “Paraclete” is commonly translated by “consoler,” and Jesus is the first consoler.19 The Lord also called the Holy Spirit "the Spirit of truth."20 693 Besides the proper name of “Holy Spirit,” which is most frequently used in the Acts of the Apostles and in the Epistles, we also find in St. Paul the titles: the Spirit of the promise,21 the Spirit of adoption,22 the Spirit of Christ,23 the Spirit of the Lord,24 and the Spirit of God25 - and, in St. Peter, the Spirit of glory.26

The proper name is “Holy Spirit” and the other titles do not include a “she”. Paragraph #692 uses “he”. Why use something else?

Peace,

MilesJesu
 
Have you spoken with the priest about this?

Do you have any orthodox fellow parishioners to bring with you?
Matt 18: 15 "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16 But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.'17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.
If you hear from you bishop before the next mass, follow his advice to the letter. If you don’t, you may consider asking your current priest if you can bring a video camera to the mass and tape the celebration. It’s surprising what video footage can do to prompt orthodoxy.

God Bless,
RyanL
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top