The language of Christ by saints in ecstacy

• Thread starter Thread starter Jade
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jade

Hello!

I’ve noticed that a lot of the saints who go into ecstasy often when speaking of their expirences, use language which we would classify as intimate. Speaking of Christ as their Beloved, Spouse, using the launguage of marriage and so on. Some of it can come across as scandelous.

Is this language acceptable? Can it be interpreted the wrong way? And if it is, how does one explain the use of this language?

Thanks for your replies!

Jade.

When they go to Heaven, the saints are unified with God, just as a man and a woman are unified in Matrimony. The Church calls itself Christ’s bride. It seems alright to me.

I just read the diary of St. Faustina, Divine Mercy in My Soul - she uses this language of intimacy throughout, which can be shocking and disconcerting.

But Christ was a very real presence in her life - she spoke to Him, He spoke to her, He was visible to her, sat beside her, brought her to His Mother and in her mind, God was her bridegroom.

Have you ever seen the Bernini statue of St. Theresa of Avila, with her heart being pierced by an angel’s arrow? It is ecstasy personified.

When I first saw it, I had never read any of the lives of the saints and knew nothing of this ecstasy of communion with God.

I was somewhat taken aback to see this statue because it seemed that here was this nun - clearly in the throes of an intense experience and surely it must be sacreligious - and yet here it was in a cathedral! What could that mean?

I’ve since realized that the artist (as brilliant and masterful as he was) could only convey that ecstasy to the extent that his human talent and skill allowed and in terms (imagery) which his own experience would allow.

Human intimacy can only be a vague shadow of the intimacy of someone who has God at the center of their being as some of these writers do - it can only hint at the joy of proclaiming God’s praises with every fiber of your being, heart, mind, body and soul.

Reading these words from the saints, it seems to me that they struggle for expression - that there aren’t words enough, there isn’t light enough, there isn’t joy enough on this planet to describe what that must really be like.

The mystics seem almost universally dissatisfied with their ability to express what they have seen of Heaven or of God.

Elizabeth

Read a book by or about St. Catherine of Siena. I know it sounds odd for a saint to speak of Our Lord as her spouse. Saints like St. Catherine are so close to God! Jesus gave St. Catherine a wedding ring to wear and she suffered from this because nobody else could see the ring on her finger until she died. Stories like that amaze me.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

Actually, the reception of the Eucharist is a very intimate experience. Jesus gives us His entire self, His very flesh, not dissimilar to giving ourselves entirely to our spouses in the marital act.

Since religious women consider themselves to be brides of Christ, it seems only fitting. This is not only for the religious communities, however, for if we receive Jesus in Holy Communion, we are all united to Him in a special way.

Intimacy, in its very essence from God, is meant to be beautiful and holy and, in fact, a sacramental act. It is only the corruption of man that makes us see anything “intimate” as bad or sinful.

When intimacy occurs as God intended, it is indeed the most beautiful gift He gives us, whether it’s in a marital union or receiving Him in Holy Communion.

40.png
Siena:
Read “Song of Solomon” in the Bible.
A good example.

Or how about the writings of any of the mystics . . . St. Bernard of Clairvaux, St. Catherine of Siena, St. John of the Cross, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Therese of Liseaux - all Doctors of the Church, I believe.

“Intimate” language is very common with the mystics . . . nothing scandalous. The key to being “comfortable” with it is to try and see it the way they saw it.

This language is simply a very “human” way to express what just can’t be expressed. And each of these Saints, to one degree or another, felt very inadequate in their ability (or lack thereof in their eyes) to describe their experience of God.

Appreciating their struggle with finding language that can actually mean something to the rest of us shows me some glimpse of the depth of their love for God . . . and the inspiration they were given.

Dave.

40.png
Jade:
Hello!

I’ve noticed that a lot of the saints who go into ecstasy often when speaking of their expirences, use language which we would classify as intimate. Speaking of Christ as their Beloved, Spouse, using the launguage of marriage and so on. Some of it can come across as scandelous.

Is this language acceptable? Can it be interpreted the wrong way? And if it is, how does one explain the use of this language?

Thanks for your replies!

Jade.
all souls are feminine in relation to God. not speaking here of male and female, but of masculine and feminine personality qualities. God is masculine in that He initiates the relationship, he pursues the soul, who surrenders when affected by love. The saints in ecstasy are speaking Soul to God. The closest human analogy we can use - used by Paul, and by Christ Himself - to the union we seek with God is marriage. That is why marriage is sacred, and anything that demeans or denigrates marriage demeans and denigrates the souls’ relationship to God - and the love relationship that is the essence of the Trinity. the saints in ecstasy are praying in spiritual language, using metaphors arising from physical love. Read the Song of Songs, with a good Catholic commentary.

Read St. Paul and Revelation. Actually, read the whole Bible. The language of marriage is used throughout. See Isaiah 62:5, Rev. 19:10 and 22:17, the whole Song of Songs, God’s lament in Hosea over that marital unfaithfulness of Israel, Eph 5:25. Lots and lots more.

All the mystic saints were using very traditional ways of talking about God.I personally find praying the Psalms very freeing, because it allows me to shout at God. The “cursing psalms” remind us that we are really God’s sons and daughters, and that we are supposed to bring everything to Him, not just the parts of our lives that we think are acceptable.

I will now step down off this soap box.

Thanks for all of your replies so far! I find the responses very simular to the language and thinking of a show I say on EWTN the other day interviewing Christopher West and talking of the Theology of the Body.
I find it beautiful.
And the post about the Eurcharist- wonderful! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back