The Leviticus Laws and how they apply today

  • Thread starter Thread starter Linkthemissing
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linkthemissing

Guest
I have a hard time understanding the Leviticus laws, some say that we are to follow it to the letter, some say that that they are a guideline for our faith but that Christ made it unnecessary to fallow it exactly, and others say that Christ did away with it. I have not made my decision on this matter (partly because I’m so confused). I guess I’m confused about the meaning behind “Christ fulfilled the law”, what is the meaning behind the word “fulfilled” in that sentence? Obviously most of us could not follow the Leviticus Laws to the letter: not being able to wear mixed cloth, eating kosher, and we talk about the names of gods every day (Example: Mercury, being the name of a car company and the name of a Greek god) and finally many of us work on the Sabbath (which is on Saturday). What does the church say? What am I to believe? I am woefully ignorant to the theology of Catholicism as I am yet in the stage of learning what Catholicism really is, and hopefully I will be going to R.C.I.A soon.
 
The Church teaches what is biblical and based on the tradition of the apostles. Looking at the Bible we see what our Lord has to say:

[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 5:17-18 [/BIBLEDRB]

Christ came to fulfill the law. Now the law itself was put into place by God in order to bring His people closer to Him. Christ fully brought His people to Him by sacrificing Himself for our sins. In this sense, the laws were abolished…those dealing with rituals and rules which prepared man to be closer to God. Nothing could trump Christ’s death for man which brought us Grace.

Christ however did not abolish the moral precepts of the law. This He continued and perfected.

[BIBLEDRB]Matthew 5:27-28[/BIBLEDRB]

[BIBLEDRB]John 8:4-7[/BIBLEDRB]

This perfection and continuation is seen in the new convenant which trumps the old:
[BIBLEDRB]Hebrews 8:13[/BIBLEDRB]

So remember. Christ abolished the rules and regulations and details…but He did not abolish the moral teachings. He kept them and even added to them teaching us to abide in them always. Both the OT and NT are sacred and proper. Remember:

[BIBLEDRB]2 Timothy 3:16[/BIBLEDRB]
 
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head - both of you.

Obviously we’re not obligated to follow all the precepts of the old Law, and anyone claiming otherwise is a hypocrite unless he never shaves, does not mix different kinds of fabric in his clothing, doesn’t eat certain foods, etc…
 
Are we then free to practive somethings as personal devotions?

Galatians 4:31
So then, brethren, we are not the children of the bondwoman, but of the free: by the freedom wherewith Christ has made us free.

Numbers 15:38-41
Throughout the generations to come you are to make tassels on the corners of your garments, with a blue cord on each tassel. You will have these tassels to look at and so you will remember all the commands of the Lord…

I use a tassled blue scarf to pray over my shoulders in my home which is similar but not the same as the Jews. I feel it is okay to practice some Torah rituals in a Christian context, and that means not having to fulfill the letter, but being able to approach God in the law through love and freedom. I can practice one thing as praying with the tassles,but I am free to eat pork or shellfish for example. It is also similar to the rosary as it is not a mandate to follow, but is a good devotion to the Holy One.
Peace Be to All!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top