• Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

springbreeze

Dear friends

A meditation by Tony Campolo from ‘A Sermon at Greenbelt’

The Listening God

You need to pray in stillness and in quietude. People say they go out and look at the stars on the hillside. Jesus says don’t do it: go into the closet, shut the door. I find I have to be in darkness really to pray. In stillness and quietude I focus on Jesus. I don’t say anything. Mother Teresa was once asked : ‘When you pray, what do you say to God?’ She said: ‘I don’t say anything. I listen’ So the interviewer said: ‘Alright. What does God say to you?’ She said: ‘God doesn’t say anything. God listens.’ And then she added: 'If you can’t understand that, I can’t explain it to you’

The deepest kind of prayers are not when we tell God the things God already knows. It’s when we become still, focused, centered down, in quietude. I have to say the name ‘Jesus’ over and over again to drive away the hundred and one things that are waiting to be done that absorb my consciousness. And in the stillness, I allow Jesus to invade me, to possess me, the same Jesus who died on the Cross, the same Jesus who was resurrected. Because the Kingdom of God starts that way. It starts with a people who in stillness and in quietude surrender to a presence, and become a new people.

When the Spirit of Christ invades you, you are capable of finding Jesus in people that you meet - especially in the poor and oppressed. The Kingdom of God: a society in which people are transformed, in order that through them God might eliminate hunger, oppression, disease, transform the world that is into the Kingdom of God.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

40.png
DBT:
Boy Teresa, you’re on a roll 😃

Dave.
:rotfl: I know Dave, I’m starting to worry myself!!

God Bless you always Dave

Teresa

On this topic of listening to God, I read a wonderful book called The Joy of Listening. It’s about contemplative prayer and the way it is written is wonderful!

I recommend it, if you are interested in learning how to listen to God.

God Bless!

Jade

Wonderful words… 😃 Some parts remind me of the book “The Way of the Pilgrim” concerning how to pray.

I agree in how in this book one of the Early Fathers stated that prayer (fruitful prayer) is when you become “dead to everything… worldly thoughts, passions and even to good things”… It is simply keeping oneself centered on ones heart feeling God’s presence.

Mother Theresa’s reply to the interviewer was golden 😉 So many times we put our own “human limitations mentality” on God, thinking he is just as limited and are convinced we have to spell out for God what is happening in our lives as if God doesn’t already know it… lol

I think I will scan “The Way of the Pilgrim” again… 😃

God bless all 😃 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back