The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary

• Thread starter Thread starter edward_george
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edward_george

Hello all

I posted this to the Ask and Apologist board rather hastily the other day, and I probably should have come here with it first.

I was enrolled in the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel while at the National Scout Jamboree this year. Upon my return, I began praying the Little Office, as prescribed by the Sabbatine Privilege.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Scapular, the Virgin Mary promised that “Whosoever dies wearing this scapular shall not suffer eternal fire.” Our Lady’s promise is subject to three conditions, however–Continuously wear the scapular, Observe chastity according to one’s station in life (married, single, etc.), and recite daily the Little Office (there are some options to that, but the only other one that doesn’t require the permission of a priest is abstain from meat on Wednesdays and Saturdays)

I found the Little Office at medjugorje.org/lofficep.htm
and found it to be a very beautiful devotion that has some very thought-provoking theological structure as well as beautiful praise of God and his handmaid. The Little Office as found at the Medjugorje website had Morning and Evening prayers.

However, I found another place (that I don’t remember right off) that said the Little Office was divided into Morning, Midday, Evening, and Night. Am I praying the “correct” Little Office, or do I have to find another source?

Thank you all in advance.
-ACEGC

Dear friend

There is the Little office of the Blessed Virgin Mary that only contains Matins and Vespers (Morning and evening prayer) . You are not bound under penalty of sin if you do not pray these, however as part of your Brown Scapular devotion you are encouraged to pray morning and evening prayers only.

If you feel called to pray any more than this there is a smaller version of this Divine Office that you can pray morning, evening, prayer during the day and night prayer. It is a simple one volume Divine Office and is the one I try to remain faithful to as part of my Brown Scapular devotion. Surprisingly it does take quite alot of time to pray, so don’t worry about it if you can remain faithful to vespers and matins. Work and daily life is prayer and this should never be neglected to pray the Divine Office.

I hope that was a little help to you

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

As far as I am aware the Rosary can be substituted for the Little Office.

In order to substitute the Rosary, one has to obtain permission of a priest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back