The Liturgy of the Hours?

• Thread starter Thread starter Madia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scripture tells us that we are to pray unceasingly, all religious do this through the LOH (as well as some lay, like myself.)

The custom of reciting prayers at certain hours of the day or night goes back to the Jews, from whom Christians have borrowed it. In the Psalms we find expressions like: “I will meditate on thee in the morning”; “I rose at midnight to give praise to thee”; “Evening and morning, and at noon I will speak and declare: and he shall hear my voice”; “Seven times a day I have given praise to thee”; etc.

(Complete article newadvent.org/cathen/11219a.htm)

It was originally designed to be done in a choral/antiphonal manner with 2 sides alternating in chant.

The main hours - morning prayer (lauds) and evening prayer (vespers) begin with a basic opening, a hymn, and then have 2 Psalms and an Old Testament Canticle for MP (mainly coming from the prophets like Jer 7, Dan 3, etc) and a New Testament Canticle for EP (such as Eph 1, Phil 2, Col 1). Each has an antiphon at the beginning and end, as well as a Glory Be. All but 3 of the Pslalms are used, and parts of others. These have been omitted due to their cursing nature. This is followed by a scripture reading with a short responsory. Then we pray the Benedictus (MP - Luke 1:67-79) and Magnificat (EP - Luke 1:46-55) with an antiphon. This is followed by intercessions, the Our Father, and a concluding prayer.

The other hours - which include mid-morning (terce), mid-day(sext), mid-afternoon (none), night prayer (compline), and the Office of Readings (matins) are variations of this. OR includes 2 longer readings for reflection, while the others are shortened versions.

Does that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back