The Lord's Prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter Little_Mary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Little_Mary

I have a question about the part we say at the Mass along with the priest:

“Deliver us, Lord from every evil and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Lord, Jesus Christ. For thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.”

Is it true that this, or part of it, is an old Jewish prayer that was added during the Mass at some point in history?

So, when our protestant brethern add “For Thine is the kingdom…” when they say it, they are unknowlingly giving a nod to their Catholic roots?

I am fascinated by this. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 🙂 Thanks.

It is true, but it is not Jewish. The part you refer to is in the KJV on one passage. It was added to that passage by their translators, but is not in the Greek text. In fact it is almost a direct quote from the Didache. A non-canonical early church book of prayers. Our use of it is in that context… earlychristianwritings.com/didache.html

Pax tecum,

Thank, CM. 🙂

In the KJV you refer to, could it have originally been there as a footnote, then later erroneously placed in the text? Do protestants believe it to be part of Jesus’ words or do they understand that it was added later?

Little Mary:
I have a question about the part we say at the Mass along with the priest:

“Deliver us, Lord from every evil and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Lord, Jesus Christ. For thine is the Kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen.”

Since when do we say this with the priest? :ehh:

40.png
Cradle:
Since when do we say this with the priest? :ehh:
Forgive me for not being painfully specific. I assumed everyone would know what I meant in the interest of keeping the post as brief as possible. :tsktsk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back