The Loss of Sacramental Artwork in Churches

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteDove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WhiteDove

My church is embroiled in a new controversy about what or what not to do about the beautiful statues in our church, which has a traditional appearance to it, with many lovely statues, an old fashioned altar, etc. My priest heard about my background in finishing, art, etc and asked for my help.

I did some research and found this very interesting and excellent article about the loss of Sacramental Art in our churches. It examines it from a cultural heritage as well as religious POV. It discusses how church renovations in the post Vatican era have endangered our American Catholic cultural legacy.

I’m now in touch with the author of the article, who is a restoration artist, and he has given us some very good advise in how to approach this problem. Many beautiful statues in our churches have been wrecked by well meaning amateurs, unfortunately. Fortunately, my priest seems to have heeded my advise that only a professional should touch our lovely, turn of the century statues, in order to properly fix any flaws, and preserve them for the future.

Here’s the article. The author, Marek, is very eloquent and thoughtful.

SACRAMENTAL ARTWORK IN AMERICAN CHURCHES—A Disappearing Heritage

I’m all for RENOVATION by re-touching items. Not tearing things down in what is now known as “wreckovation” or something of that nature. A good book to look at for this topic is Michael S. Rose’s Ugly as Sin. Thankfully there atleast some groups like the Institute of Christ The King that make churches better than they actually were rather than to tear down our Houses of Worship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back