S
Speedypizza
Guest
Before I begin please understand that I am just starting RCIA, and my intent is not to offend anybody. I am just not seeing anything good about this reading, in fact it sounds almost evil to me. Maybe I am somehow taking it wrong, but it sounds horrible to me.
Gn 16:1-12, 15-16 or 16:6b-12, 15-16
Abram’s wife Sarai had borne him no children.
She had, however, an Egyptian maidservant named Hagar.
Sarai said to Abram:
“The LORD has kept me from bearing children.
Have intercourse, then, with my maid;
perhaps I shall have sons through her.”
Abram heeded Sarai’s request.
Thus, after Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan,
his wife Sarai took her maid, Hagar the Egyptian,
and gave her to her husband Abram to be his concubine.
He had intercourse with her, and she became pregnant.
When she became aware of her pregnancy,
she looked on her mistress with disdain.
So Sarai said to Abram:
“You are responsible for this outrage against me.
I myself gave my maid to your embrace;
but ever since she became aware of her pregnancy,
she has been looking on me with disdain.
May the LORD decide between you and me!”
Abram told Sarai: “Your maid is in your power.
Do to her whatever you please.”
Sarai then abused her so much that Hagar ran away from her.
The LORD’s messenger found her by a spring in the wilderness,
the spring on the road to Shur, and he asked,
“Hagar, maid of Sarai, where have you come from
and where are you going?”
She answered, “I am running away from my mistress, Sarai.”
But the LORD’s messenger told her:
“Go back to your mistress and submit to her abusive treatment.
I will make your descendants so numerous,” added the LORD’s messenger,
“that they will be too many to count.
Besides,” the LORD’s messenger said to her:
“You are now pregnant and shall bear a son;
you shall name him Ishmael,
For the LORD has heard you,
God has answered you.
This one shall be a wild *** of a man,
his hand against everyone,
and everyone’s hand against him;
In opposition to all his kin
shall he encamp.”
Hagar bore Abram a son,
and Abram named the son whom Hagar bore him Ishmael.
Abram was eighty-six years old when Hagar bore him Ishmael.
Let me get this straight, Abram, who is a “moral and upstanding man” is sleeping with his wives handmaiden, which sounds a little like rape, as I don’t see anybody asking her if she wants to sleep with this old man. THEN when she becomes pregnant, she looks funny at Abrams wife. She then complains to Abram, who being a “moral and upstanding man” tells his wife to treat the pregnant girl who is carrying HIS child any way she likes?!?!?
She then runs away so as not be be abused anymore, and "But the LORD’s messenger told her: “Go back to your mistress and submit to her abusive treatment. ?!?!?!?
As if to add salt to the wound, the homily was on how great Abram was! Great??? Please help me understand this, because I have seen other “moral and upstanding” men doing 20-life for things very much like this.
Gn 16:1-12, 15-16 or 16:6b-12, 15-16
Abram’s wife Sarai had borne him no children.
She had, however, an Egyptian maidservant named Hagar.
Sarai said to Abram:
“The LORD has kept me from bearing children.
Have intercourse, then, with my maid;
perhaps I shall have sons through her.”
Abram heeded Sarai’s request.
Thus, after Abram had lived ten years in the land of Canaan,
his wife Sarai took her maid, Hagar the Egyptian,
and gave her to her husband Abram to be his concubine.
He had intercourse with her, and she became pregnant.
When she became aware of her pregnancy,
she looked on her mistress with disdain.
So Sarai said to Abram:
“You are responsible for this outrage against me.
I myself gave my maid to your embrace;
but ever since she became aware of her pregnancy,
she has been looking on me with disdain.
May the LORD decide between you and me!”
Abram told Sarai: “Your maid is in your power.
Do to her whatever you please.”
Sarai then abused her so much that Hagar ran away from her.
The LORD’s messenger found her by a spring in the wilderness,
the spring on the road to Shur, and he asked,
“Hagar, maid of Sarai, where have you come from
and where are you going?”
She answered, “I am running away from my mistress, Sarai.”
But the LORD’s messenger told her:
“Go back to your mistress and submit to her abusive treatment.
I will make your descendants so numerous,” added the LORD’s messenger,
“that they will be too many to count.
Besides,” the LORD’s messenger said to her:
“You are now pregnant and shall bear a son;
you shall name him Ishmael,
For the LORD has heard you,
God has answered you.
This one shall be a wild *** of a man,
his hand against everyone,
and everyone’s hand against him;
In opposition to all his kin
shall he encamp.”
Hagar bore Abram a son,
and Abram named the son whom Hagar bore him Ishmael.
Abram was eighty-six years old when Hagar bore him Ishmael.
Let me get this straight, Abram, who is a “moral and upstanding man” is sleeping with his wives handmaiden, which sounds a little like rape, as I don’t see anybody asking her if she wants to sleep with this old man. THEN when she becomes pregnant, she looks funny at Abrams wife. She then complains to Abram, who being a “moral and upstanding man” tells his wife to treat the pregnant girl who is carrying HIS child any way she likes?!?!?
She then runs away so as not be be abused anymore, and "But the LORD’s messenger told her: “Go back to your mistress and submit to her abusive treatment. ?!?!?!?
As if to add salt to the wound, the homily was on how great Abram was! Great??? Please help me understand this, because I have seen other “moral and upstanding” men doing 20-life for things very much like this.