The Mormon Great Apostacy and Sacred Scripture

  • Thread starter Thread starter IronHammer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IronHammer

Guest
I don’t know if this has been asked before but I am thinking it is an important point to discuss with a Mormon when evangelizing to him the Catholic Faith. A good friend of mine (who is Mormon) and I love to discuss our faiths. He is very impressed with how “similar” my Catholic faith and teachings are to his (priesthood, office of biship, the notion of the diocese, sacrament of reconciliation, etc…). I am very gently and kindly sharing my faith and beliefs with him in the hope that he might consider becoming Catholic.

So, to the question:

If the Great Apostacy occurred after the death of the last apostle, how do Mormons explain where they got their Bible, since it was the Catholic Church who defined the canon of Sacred Scripture in 405 AD? Why wouldn’t they consider, say, the Letter of St. Clement to Rome to be Sacred Scripture since it was very commonly used in the early church?

Thoughts?
 
My impression is that the LDS does not look upon the Bible like Christians do. It’s more of a devotional/historical book. The Book of Mormon and the writings/interpretations of their Elders are what carry the real weight.
 
I don’t know if this has been asked before but I am thinking it is an important point to discuss with a Mormon when evangelizing to him the Catholic Faith. A good friend of mine (who is Mormon) and I love to discuss our faiths. He is very impressed with how “similar” my Catholic faith and teachings are to his (priesthood, office of biship, the notion of the diocese, sacrament of reconciliation, etc…). I am very gently and kindly sharing my faith and beliefs with him in the hope that he might consider becoming Catholic.

So, to the question:

If the Great Apostacy occurred after the death of the last apostle, how do Mormons explain where they got their Bible, since it was the Catholic Church who defined the canon of Sacred Scripture in 405 AD? Why wouldn’t they consider, say, the Letter of St. Clement to Rome to be Sacred Scripture since it was very commonly used in the early church?

Thoughts?
According to the Mormons, the Bible is an adjunct to the Book of Mormon and other Joseph Smith and LDS writings. it should also be noted that they claim that the Bible is not correctly interpreted, that many errors have occured in translation from the Koine Greek and or Aramic/Hebrew.

Also J. Smith also claimed that the Book of Mormon is “the most correct book ever written” ! In answer: 1) If you read the Book of Mormon you will find myriads of passages which are direct copies of that found in the King James Bible, which is in English. 2) If the Book of Mormon is “the most correct book ever written” then how is it that it has been subject to over 1000 revisions, and not only for typographical and granmatical errors?

As for the letter of Clement and other Church Fathers, they carry no weight for the Mormons.

FYI: I have studied Mormonism for many years and I find that the present day Church bears very little resemblance to the Church of Joseph Smith. They should talk about apostacy !

God Bless

PAX DOMINI :signofcross:

Shalom Aleichem
 
According to the Mormons, the Bible is an adjunct to the Book of Mormon and other Joseph Smith and LDS writings. it should also be noted that they claim that the Bible is not correctly interpreted, that many errors have occured in translation from the Koine Greek and or Aramic/Hebrew.

Also J. Smith also claimed that the Book of Mormon is “the most correct book ever written” ! In answer: 1) If you read the Book of Mormon you will find myriads of passages which are direct copies of that found in the King James Bible, which is in English. 2) If the Book of Mormon is “the most correct book ever written” then how is it that it has been subject to over 1000 revisions, and not only for typographical and granmatical errors?

As for the letter of Clement and other Church Fathers, they carry no weight for the Mormons.

FYI: I have studied Mormonism for many years and I find that the present day Church bears very little resemblance to the Church of Joseph Smith. They should talk about apostacy !

God Bless

PAX DOMINI :signofcross:

Shalom Aleichem
There must be a “silver bullet” that makes a Mormon stop and think rationally. I have to believe that…
 
There must be a “silver bullet” that makes a Mormon stop and think rationally. I have to believe that…
I am placing all my bets on the ‘historical’ aspect of our Church. that there was no apostasy.
 
I am placing all my bets on the ‘historical’ aspect of our Church. that there was no apostasy.
Or better yet, you can place your trust in the words of Jesus Christ when he said he would be with her until the end of time, and that the Gates of Hell would not prevail against her (the Church.)
 
There must be a “silver bullet” that makes a Mormon stop and think rationally. I have to believe that…
If there is, I’ve yet to find it. Should I contact the Lone Ranger?

PAX DOMINI :signofcross:

Shalom Aleichem
 
Or better yet, you can place your trust in the words of Jesus Christ when he said he would be with her until the end of time, and that the Gates of Hell would not prevail against her (the Church.)
Most definitely! And also, the Church is under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, therefore all truth lies within the Catholic Church.

PAX DOMINI :signof cross:

Shalom Aleichem

TOTUS TUUS DOMINI
 
There must be a “silver bullet” that makes a Mormon stop and think rationally. I have to believe that…
It is different for each Mormon. For one the priesthood is the most important thing, for another it is “families are forever”. If you listen carefully, each one will tell you what is most important to them. Use it to to get them to think, then drive the wedge to explain that we worship different God’s, not the same God in different ways. No one ever got saved by seeing their precious truth destroyed, but by Christ who picked them up afterward.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top