The "Our Father"

• Thread starter Thread starter gmassart
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gmassart

In Matrhew 6 it says “deliver us from the evil one”. In all “Our Father” prays it is “deliver us from evil”. Would it be correct to use the Mathew 6 answer. George

40.png
gmassart:
In Matrhew 6 it says “deliver us from the evil one”. In all “Our Father” prays it is “deliver us from evil”. Would it be correct to use the Mathew 6 answer. George
Since all evil comes from the evil one, I guess so. But when prayer is said by a group, unity is important.

But I understand your delimma… The Credo has only one translation “I believe” That is what I softly say while I hear others say "we believe"http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

Deliver us lord from every evil and in your mercy keep us free from sin. Grant us peace from all anxiety as we wait for the coming of our lord and saviour Jesus Christ.

40.png
gmassart:

gmassart, You are quite discerning to notice that. You get a gold star.

In one of my Bibles which is a copy of a Bible printed in 1582, in the text of the Matthew Chapter it ends,“deliver us from evil”. But in the back of the Bible it has a page of prayers. There it has the ending,“deliver us from the evil one”.

Back about 1960, an old Msgnr. said that the Bishops (USCB) changed it to “deliver us from evil” because “The Evil One” scared some of the laity. Can you belive that? It’s true. Half the time I say “the Evil One”. Because thats what the last line of the “Our Father” means.

You ask which is correct, you choose. I say the Evil One when I am thinking.

Thank all of you for your enlightenment. I guess when I am in a group I will say “deliver us from evil”---- but in private “deliver us from the evil one”. I do beleive the evil one is a live & well. gmassart.

Notice that in the Lord’s prayer we also say “Lead us not into temptation”…Why would God “lead” us into temptation??

The church may have changed a few words here & there (“what ever you hold loosed on earth…what ever you hold bound”), but the power of the prayer is still the same. 👍

“This petition goes to the root of the preceding one, for our sins result from our consenting to temptation; we therefore ask our Father not to “lead” us into temptation. It is difficult to translate the Greek verb used by a single English word: the Greek means both “do not allow us to enter into temptation” and "do not let us yield to temptation”. God cannot be tempted by evil and he himself tempts no one; on the contrary, he wants to set us free from evil. We ask him not to allow us to take the way that leads to sin. We are engaged in the battle “between flesh and spirit”; this petition implores the Spirit of discernment and strength” (CCC 2846).

taken from: Jim Blackburn forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=22890

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back