The Passion of The Christ: A Year Later

• Thread starter Thread starter Edwin1961
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edwin1961

The Passion of The Christ: A Year Later…

Does this landmark film STILL affect you?
Have you seen this film during Holy Week, either on DVD or the ‘Recut’ version?

Yes, I’ve seen it today on DVD and it STILL afects me in a number of ways.
Also, I am able to find things I did not see the first few times (due to the emotional factor).

I saw it for the first time yesterday.

What a stunning portrayal of Our Lord’s Passion.

This is a great work - it helped me focus more at the vigil last night and Good Friday service today.
Well done Mel. I hope he makes the Fatima film thats rumoured.

I just finished watching it, as it seemed the best substitute for missing the Stations of the Cross and liturgy at my parish (I’m ill). Wow. It hits even harder a year later…although I think that’s more because of changes I’ve made in my life- the movie obviously hasn’t changed.An absolutely wonderful movie. What a gift.

I watched it today on DVD. This is about the 6th or 7th time I have seen it. Still very moving and inspirational.

I just finished watching it. I saw it once a year ago. Still just as powerful. I think it will become my Good Friday custom.

I’m kind of embarassed to share this.

I saw it a year ago when it came out. I went by myself on the day before Palm Sunday. I left stunned.

I bought the DVD as soon as it came out and occasionally I felt called to watch it. It does not always affect me because of my employment history I am somewhat deadened to the type of violence shown. (That’s not to say it completely doesn’t have an effect).

Anyway, I meant to watch it last nigth but I was like the apostles…I couldn’t stay awake. So this afternoon I finished it, hoping to end it at 3 as I planned to pray the Divine Mercy.

Even though it wasn’t done I felt called to pray the chaplet. So I knelt in my livingroom without interrupting the movie, and it was the end…during the crucifixion.

At the end of the chaplet (and mind you, I’d had a snack less than 1 hour before this), I started to black out. I was wondering why I wasn’t feeling the same emotion and such. Then I started to black out just as I finished the chaplet.

I was still kneeling and waiting for this to pass, but it just got darker. I could barely speak.

I ended up face first of my livingroom floor, sobbing. (I’m so glad I don’t live with anyone)

I had no idea this movie could still affect me, especially in such a huge way. I had no idea I could be affected in that manner.

I’m not sure really how to feel about this. I don’t know why this happened and I have no health problems.

Obviously this movie can affect us in ways we can’t alway understand…that is, if God is choosing to work through it.

Just got back from taking the kids to see it. I saw it with my oldest son’s school the day it opened (Catholic school of course, we took the entire school!) and thought it was too graphic for my 8th and 6th graders. Bought the dvd for my fiancee when it came out but when the recut came out, we decided to take the kids to see it during holy week. So today being good Friday, we went to the Stations at noon, then went to see the Passion Recut tonight. It was much less graphic, but still really illustrated the burdens of of all our sins on Christ. It was good for my now 9th and 7th graders.

40.png
JCPhoenix:
I’m kind of embarassed to share this.

I saw it a year ago when it came out. I went by myself on the day before Palm Sunday. I left stunned.

I bought the DVD as soon as it came out and occasionally I felt called to watch it. It does not always affect me because of my employment history I am somewhat deadened to the type of violence shown. (That’s not to say it completely doesn’t have an effect).

Anyway, I meant to watch it last nigth but I was like the apostles…I couldn’t stay awake. So this afternoon I finished it, hoping to end it at 3 as I planned to pray the Divine Mercy.

Even though it wasn’t done I felt called to pray the chaplet. So I knelt in my livingroom without interrupting the movie, and it was the end…during the crucifixion.

At the end of the chaplet (and mind you, I’d had a snack less than 1 hour before this), I started to black out. I was wondering why I wasn’t feeling the same emotion and such. Then I started to black out just as I finished the chaplet.

I was still kneeling and waiting for this to pass, but it just got darker. I could barely speak.

I ended up face first of my livingroom floor, sobbing. (I’m so glad I don’t live with anyone)

I had no idea this movie could still affect me, especially in such a huge way. I had no idea I could be affected in that manner.

I’m not sure really how to feel about this. I don’t know why this happened and I have no health problems.

Obviously this movie can affect us in ways we can’t alway understand…that is, if God is choosing to work through it.
When I watched it again (Yes I saw it again today as the Men’s Fellowship Group played it). I noticed something.
JCPhoenix, the next time you watch the film, take a particular notice to the minor characters in the film and their reaction to Jesus (Simeon of Syrene, tow Roman soldiers - - the one who witnesses Jesus and Mary while carrying the cross, AND the solider who had the blood and water pour upon him), and the man servant who’s ear was healed.
Then try to imagine what their lives were like AFTER the Resurrection. I am sure those who heard the news spread about Jesus’ resurrection would put two and two together.

You are having that affect you now.
The film has that affect on some level to EVERYONE who watches it.

I watched it yesterday and it’s scenes flashed through my mind during the Stations of the Cross and then latter at the evening service. I plan to watch it every Good Friday. It has the most amazing impact on me.

40.png
Edwin1961:
When I watched it again (Yes I saw it again today as the Men’s Fellowship Group played it). I noticed something.
JCPhoenix, the next time you watch the film, take a particular notice to the minor characters in the film and their reaction to Jesus (Simeon of Syrene, tow Roman soldiers - - the one who witnesses Jesus and Mary while carrying the cross, AND the solider who had the blood and water pour upon him), and the man servant who’s ear was healed.
Then try to imagine what their lives were like AFTER the Resurrection. I am sure those who heard the news spread about Jesus’ resurrection would put two and two together.

You are having that affect you now.
I actually have noticed that, and those moments sometimes make me cry when nothing else does.

It’s strange…sometimes I relate at different levels to several different charasters, but the reaction I had yesterday came WAY out from left field.

I’m saddened when I speak with people who refuse to watch the movie because it’s “Catholic”. They are missing something extraordinary (I mean, other than being Catholic, which is the best thing in the world). 🙂

40.png
John_19_59:
This is a great work - it helped me focus more at the vigil last night and Good Friday service today.
Well done Mel. I hope he makes the Fatima film thats rumoured.
Isn’t it interesting- two action superstars are now famous directors:

Mel who made the “Passion” and Clint Eastwood who make the pro-euthanasia movie "Million Dollar Baby"

If Mel makes the next film about Fatima, what will Clint Eastwood make his next one on?

It makes me shutter to think about it.

rastell said:
Isn’t it interesting- two action superstars are now famous directors:

Mel who made the “Passion” and Clint Eastwood who make the pro-euthanasia movie "Million Dollar Baby"

If Mel makes the next film about Fatima, what will Clint Eastwood make his next one on?

It makes me shutter to think about it.

I forgot to add that I have seen the “Passion” numerous times and it is the most important film I have ever seen.

I am just a little negative after spending time in the “Terri’s” forum. It’s hard to be upbeat at what is happening to her.

Have a Happy Easter everyone!

40.png
Edwin1961:
I feel like such a loser by admitting this. I have trouble not crying durign a mass or durign stations of the cross, even when I say them on my own, but that film did not seem to affect me at all. The only thing that impressed me was that there were so many actors able to learn their lines in thsoe languages.

I did not like the fact that Mel Gibson felt hte need to add more violence to the story, with the scene of Judas and the children.

I also did not like his creative use of the devil in the garden towards the beginning, because so many people I know who profess to be “Christians” blame every wrong that occurs and that they commit solely on the devil, never recognizing that they are partly responsible for succumbing to temptation by their own free will and by failing to seek for greater graces from God.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back