The Power of Faith

• Thread starter Thread starter hwinston
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hwinston

I keep coming back to an inward thought of mine - that the pure faith my wife has is more powerful than any study and examination of texts, scripture and doctrinal notes that I have read in two years.

Let me go further and ask each of you for your opinion on my question -

Why worry about biblical scholarship, or memorizing the ‘right’ comebacks to others’ questions about our beautiful faith when only one line from the bible says it all? That line being when Jesus established his Church on Earth and vowed that “… the gates of Hell will not prevail against It.” Mat 16:18.

It seems to me that the more I try to study, the more there is TO study. I try to read Scott Hahn’s books and some others, but I find myself lost in the ‘understanding the original greek, hebrew or aramaic translations’. My wife’s example - a simple love of God and a devout following of her Catholic faith which her mother safeguarded in her, is much simpler and seems to be a much more pure and enriched relationship with God. Rather than quoting biblical versus amongst friends and potential converts, she lives as an example of a good parent and wife and breaks out the Catechism when she has to - rarely.

While my intellectual side likes to deduce things like 1+1=2, and that I should be able to prove all of our faith via the bible, it is hard and is such a huge undertaking that I’m not sure it really makes sense. I’m not sure who said it, but I like the quote, “faith brings truth, not proof.”

Anyone else in a similar boat?
HW

I think that all people are called to do different things for God. It just depends on the talent he gives you. Like you, I find all the info. and facts about the Church and Bible interesting and overwhelming. But I sure am glad somebody’s out there doing all that research!

40.png
hwinston:
I keep coming back to an inward thought of mine - that the pure faith my wife has is more powerful than any study and examination of texts, scripture and doctrinal notes that I have read in two years.

Let me go further and ask each of you for your opinion on my question -

Why worry about biblical scholarship, or memorizing the ‘right’ comebacks to others’ questions about our beautiful faith when only one line from the bible says it all? That line being when Jesus established his Church on Earth and vowed that “… the gates of Hell will not prevail against It.” Mat 16:18.
Lorik has a very good point.

Dont be tempted to overlook the blessings or journey you are taking in life by comparing yourself to anyone else’s blessings or journey.

If you have the mind to use reason, logic, and charitable conversation with others to grow in your faith, how much more can you use the results to reach out and serve others?

I probably would not be posting to you right now if I had refused to take my own unique path of faith in Christ.
It seems to me that the more I try to study, the more there is TO study. I try to read Scott Hahn’s books and some others, but I find myself lost in the ‘understanding the original greek, hebrew or aramaic translations’. My wife’s example - a simple love of God and a devout following of her Catholic faith which her mother safeguarded in her, is much simpler and seems to be a much more pure and enriched relationship with God. Rather than quoting biblical versus amongst friends and potential converts, she lives as an example of a good parent and wife and breaks out the Catechism when she has to - rarely.

While my intellectual side likes to deduce things like 1+1=2, and that I should be able to prove all of our faith via the bible, it is hard and is such a huge undertaking that I’m not sure it really makes sense. I’m not sure who said it, but I like the quote, “faith brings truth, not proof.”

Anyone else in a similar boat?
Yep, thats usually the results of reading alot of books. The reason there is no finality in study is the same reason there is no finality in sports or sex. We were designed to rest only in God.

Maybe I could suggest that you are envying the fact that your wife has found joy and finality in Christ, when you could still be looking for other supplements? Who said “our hearts our not at rest until they are at rest in You Lord”

What does your wife do when a Fundamentalist tells her point blank, “She is going to Hell”,? Why? For many reasons…I had one yo yo Fundamentalist tell me that anyone who even believes in a “works doctrine” has lost his salvation!..(I asked him where this was in the Bible!)

But Catholics do not believe in a works doctrine, but unless you learn your faith, you’ll be told all kinds of crazy things that you supposedly believe.

Besides the power of faith for a Catholic relys on works of charity done in Jesus’s name, and prompted by Him.

For Protestants the power of faith may be only mentally picturing Jesus dieing on the cross, and poof, your saved!

There are many masters of deceit in this world, cunning as Satan himself. Learn the Catholic faith, learn it well, it’s not that hard.

Read the Bible or something from the Catechism everynite before you fall asleep. It won’t take long before you become addicted to apologetics, and then you’ll really experience the power of faith!

Thanks

40.png
hwinston:
I keep coming back to an inward thought of mine - that the pure faith my wife has is more powerful than any study and examination of texts, scripture and doctrinal notes… My wife’s example - a simple love of God and a devout following of her Catholic faith … is much simpler and seems to be a much more pure and enriched relationship with God. Rather than quoting biblical versus amongst friends and potential converts, she lives as an example…
I know what you mean. Several years ago I sponsored, along with my wife, a friend who was coming into the church through the RCIA. Knowing him, I thought he would debate every issue and require detailed answers to every objection. It didn’t work out that way. Her simple love of the Faith and love of God carried the day far better than my attempted scholarship could have. And I saw the same thing happen again and again with non-Catholic relatives, who had been rather hostile to Catholicism before our marriage. After our marriage, it seemed that they no longer required proofs and their hostility evaporated. It was as though any Faith which could produce a person so good could not be that bad!

JimG

hwinston,

Your wife sounds like a wonderful woman. You are truly blessed. While there is great beauty in the way you have described your wife and her faith, there is still much to be said for having a thorough knowledge of your faith.

I share your sense of how difficult it can be to learn everything about our faith. It is a life time of effort, but it is worth it. Everything we know about God and His divine plan enables us and provides us with more ways and reasons to love God with our whole mind, heart, and strength. While a simple faith is obviously good, a more intimate knowledge of Christ’s church and the divine plan can only make it better.

Instead of looking at the difficult challenge of learning, let your imagination ponder the spiritual vistas that lay before you. Think of scripture as God’s love letters. Or look at scripture as a marvelous tapestry with each thread revealing something new and beautiful. If you like classical music you can imagine God’s plan in terms of a great symphony with each instrument, note, beat, and crescendo offering another element of joy.

It’s all good…just go for it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back