The Rapture (1941)

  • Thread starter Thread starter patrick457
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patrick457

Guest
I’ve just found an old 1941 short giving details about the Rapture. Years before Left Behind, folks. 😉

I’d just note though that I kinda don’t like the prospect of milkmen being caught up en route to delivery or surgeons being raptured midway through an operation. What if the patient gets raptured as well? 😃
 
Don’t worry It is not going to happen this is a made up doctrine that came about sometime in the late 1800s even the reformers didn’t believe this and it is certainly not a Catholic belief Stick with Catholic doctrine and you will be fine
 
Don’t worry It is not going to happen this is a made up doctrine that came about sometime in the late 1800s even the reformers didn’t believe this and it is certainly not a Catholic belief Stick with Catholic doctrine and you will be fine
I know about that. I’m just pointing out about the existence of this film, and its rather preachy tone. 😉
 
I saw a movie in the early 70s on TV called “A Thief In the Night” about the so-called Rapture and it freaked me out. (I was like, 11 or 12 if that.)
 
I’d just note though that I kinda don’t like the prospect of … surgeons being raptured midway through an operation. What if the patient gets raptured as well? 😃
My concern would be, what if only the surgeon was raptured.
Would the patient then be ruptured???:eek::eek:
 
I saw a movie in the early 70s on TV called “A Thief In the Night” about the so-called Rapture and it freaked me out. (I was like, 11 or 12 if that.)
I saw that movie when I was in high school in the 80’s!!!

It was like “The Blob” for the rapture crowd. Totally B-rated thriller, with a whole of screaming, and lots of extremes – good guys and bad guys were all, well, extreme.

Even though I was a guest at a four-square gospel church for the showing, I remember a few of their members laughing at the terrible script and acting (not to mention the stylish 60’s attire).

There was another movie made in the late 70s or early 80s called “Years of the Beast.” It was also a rapture movie, but not it didn’t seem quite as much of a scare tactic as “A Thief in the Night.”

Somehow, though, we’re all still here, working out our salvation with fear and trembling. May God the time to bring all souls to His heart!

Gertie
 
The rapture is easily disproven in Scripture.

The film starts with a quote from 1 Thessalonians 4 which believers in the rapture use as the primary proof text in their favor.

***For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord *in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord. (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)
The problem with seeing this as proof that true believers in Christ will be taken up by Jesus into the clouds to go to Heaven is that it exhibits a lack of understanding of the historical context under which this passage was written. All through scripture we have examples of Kings who “Go out to meet” their enemies in the context of war. Prominent citizens and leaders of cities would also “Go out to meet” friendly kings and generals as they came to visit, as a gesture of respect and honor. Prominent citizens would would leave the safety of the walled city, unarmed, and “Go out to meet” the visiting king or military leader, who would then be escorted back to the city as a guest of honor. Escorting the king back to the city as an honored guest is the context under which Paul wrote this passage. The reference would have been clear to the ancient Israelites but we have lost the historical context. In the proper context, we can see that it is a reference to our “Going out to meet” our king, Jesus, and escorting him back to earth as an honored guest. We will escort Jesus back to the walled city of Jerusalem, which is symbolic for the Church, and Jesus will establish a “New Jerusalem” which John references in Revelation.

***I also saw the holy city, a new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven *from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. (Revelation 21:2)

The idea that Jesus will come down from heaven and stop about a mile above the earth in the clouds, that all true believers will go up to the clouds to meet him, and that Jesus will hang a U-Turn and head back to heaven, for ratpture theologiests, means that there will be two second comings of Christ, one at the rapture and one at the end of time. Or is it one full second coming of Christ at the end of time and one partial second coming of Christ at the rapture?

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day. (John 6:44)
Consider Christ’s own words here. He states that we will be raised “on the last day.” If 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 is proof of the rapture, then Christ is a liar. Rapture theology states that the true believers who are “Dead in Christ” will rise but that this is not yet the end of time. How can these believers rise from the dead if this is not the end of time when Christ said he will raise us “On the last day?” Perhapse Christ meant “I will raise him on the last day before the rapture”?

The video, in quoting 1 Thessalonians 4 as the standard rapture proof text, disproves iteself. Like most of Evangelical Christianity, it pulls a single verse out of scripture and inteprets it in a vacuum, failing to take into account the political, social and economic context under whicht he author and his intended audience operated and ignoring the rest of scripture, including Jesus own words.

They even threw in a reference to Matthew 24 stating that the rapture will bring relief from “Wars and rhumors of wars.” They even got this wrong. In Matthew 24, Jesus was prophesying about the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple and the killing of 1.2 million Jews by the Romans in 70 AD, not about the rapture or about the end of the world.

The guy who throws down the Bible (at 4:30) as the narrator says “Unbelief!” makes the video worth watching though. 😃

-Tim-
 
The guy who throws down the Bible (at 4:30) as the narrator says “Unbelief!” makes the video worth watching though. 😃

-Tim-
You know, I just noticed that when the narrator speaks of islands sinking down the sea (8:39), I thought I heard a bit of the overture to Wagner’s The Flying Dutchman. 😃
 
I saw a movie in the early 70s on TV called “A Thief In the Night” about the so-called Rapture and it freaked me out. (I was like, 11 or 12 if that.)
Yes I saw that same movie in the late 70s when I was around 13 in the pentecostal church i grew up in even back then i was thinking that when i got older and was away from my mothers family in other words when i was an adult that i was going to be Catholic of course I could not say anything because most of them didn’t think very highly of Catholics well to make along story short i finally came into the Catholic Church. and there is no turning back and as far as me believing in a rapture well I believe it just as much as i believe in the tooth fairy or easter bunny which is not saying much.
 
You know, I just noticed that when the narrator speaks of islands sinking down the sea (8:39), I thought I heard a bit of the overture to Wagner’s The Flying Dutchman. 😃
Now that I’ve rewatched it, I’m thinking more that the music is actually ‘The Ride of the Valkyries’ from Die Walkuere. 😃
 
Oh yeah, apparently the film’s idea of what ‘unbelief’ is, as mentioned, is flipping the pages of the Bible with increasing annoyance and eventually throwing it down the floor. I guess subtlety isn’t enough. 🤷 😛
 
I saw a movie in the early 70s on TV called “A Thief In the Night” about the so-called Rapture and it freaked me out. (I was like, 11 or 12 if that.)
I remember being tricked into seeing this when I was in the Air Force in the 70’s. I was just sitting around the barracks being bored when some guy comes up and says, “Hey, you want to go over to the day room and watch a movie–it’s really good!”

“Well, what’s it about?”

“Just come and see, it’s really good.”

So I went and started watching it and when I saw it was some preachy low-budget fundamentalist film, I walked out. Soured me on religion for a LONG time.
 
I remember that the “Thief in the Night” movie became part of a trilogy of such movies. I saw two of them but not the third. I thought the acting was wooden and the writing was leadfooted.

Thanks for the exlanation of the primary prooftext for the “Rapture”. To my knowledge the idea does not predate 1810.
 
Now that I’ve rewatched it, I’m thinking more that the music is actually ‘The Ride of the Valkyries’ from Die Walkuere. 😃
:eek:
Oh yeah, apparently the film’s idea of what ‘unbelief’ is, as mentioned, is flipping the pages of the Bible with increasing annoyance and eventually throwing it down the floor. I guess subtlety isn’t enough. 🤷 😛
Oh, but was it a King James Bible? That would be the only one that would count as “real unbelief”…I:eek: think.
I remember that the “Thief in the Night” movie became part of a trilogy of such movies. I saw two of them but not the third. I thought the acting was wooden and the writing was leadfooted.

Thanks for the exlanation of the primary prooftext for the “Rapture”. To my knowledge the idea does not predate 1810.
That’s right.
When my mother was at college back in the 1920s, there was a speaker in Rochester who did a big deal about the Rapture, & some of the college kids (Christian college) went & were totally freaked out by it.
She said that her Bible professor went over, & got up, & tore down the guy’s whole framework of “thought” straight from Scripture. She said when she told her folks about it, that her father said he’d have like to have been there to see it…😃
 
The rapture is easily disproven in Scripture.

The film starts with a quote from 1 Thessalonians 4 which believers in the rapture use as the primary proof text in their favor.

***For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord ***in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord. (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)
The problem with seeing this as proof that true believers in Christ will be taken up by Jesus into the clouds to go to Heaven is that it exhibits a lack of understanding of the historical context under which this passage was written. All through scripture we have examples of Kings who “Go out to meet” their enemies in the context of war. Prominent citizens and leaders of cities would also “Go out to meet” friendly kings and generals as they came to visit, as a gesture of respect and honor. Prominent citizens would would leave the safety of the walled city, unarmed, and “Go out to meet” the visiting king or military leader, who would then be escorted back to the city as a guest of honor. Escorting the king back to the city as an honored guest is the context under which Paul wrote this passage. The reference would have been clear to the ancient Israelites but we have lost the historical context. In the proper context, we can see that it is a reference to our “Going out to meet” our king, Jesus, and escorting him back to earth as an honored guest. We will escort Jesus back to the walled city of Jerusalem, which is symbolic for the Church, and Jesus will establish a “New Jerusalem” which John references in Revelation.

***I also saw the holy city, a new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven ***from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. (Revelation 21:2)

The idea that Jesus will come down from heaven and stop about a mile above the earth in the clouds, that all true believers will go up to the clouds to meet him, and that Jesus will hang a U-Turn and head back to heaven, for ratpture theologiests, means that there will be two second comings of Christ, one at the rapture and one at the end of time. Or is it one full second coming of Christ at the end of time and one partial second coming of Christ at the rapture?

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draw him, and I will raise him on the last day. (John 6:44)
Consider Christ’s own words here. He states that we will be raised “on the last day.” If 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 is proof of the rapture, then Christ is a liar. Rapture theology states that the true believers who are “Dead in Christ” will rise but that this is not yet the end of time. How can these believers rise from the dead if this is not the end of time when Christ said he will raise us “On the last day?” Perhapse Christ meant “I will raise him on the last day before the rapture”?

The video, in quoting 1 Thessalonians 4 as the standard rapture proof text, disproves iteself. Like most of Evangelical Christianity, it pulls a single verse out of scripture and inteprets it in a vacuum, failing to take into account the political, social and economic context under whicht he author and his intended audience operated and ignoring the rest of scripture, including Jesus own words.

They even threw in a reference to Matthew 24 stating that the rapture will bring relief from “Wars and rhumors of wars.” They even got this wrong. In Matthew 24, Jesus was prophesying about the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple and the killing of 1.2 million Jews by the Romans in 70 AD, not about the rapture or about the end of the world.

-Tim-
Tim…

Don’t be deceived that a "Rapture’ won’t occur. Because, it will. To say otherwise is to refute words of Paul and testimony of Christ.

However, it probably won’t happen like this short video depicts, or the way the Late Great Planet Earth writers and fanatics teach. When Christ comes again, life on this earth won’t be the same again. Those left behind, & not raptured, won’t get a second chance. The earth will be destroyed, and the GWTJ follows.

Seems you believe the 1000 year Millennial Reign begins in Jerusalem, when Christ returns. Many Catholics believe we are currently living in the Millennium period,… the Catholic Church being the New Jerusalem and Catholics the new Israel. It appears that endtimes prophesy and John’s Apocalypse suggest this is the case.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top