The Resurrection and the Damned

• Thread starter Thread starter lwest
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lwest

When we die, we are judged. Heaven, hell or purgatory. At the Resurrection, we’ll get our bodies back and the damned will go back to hell? Is that how it’s to work? Will the saved be witnessing their loved ones and friends and acquaintances return to hell? Has anyone heard a priest discuss this?

The damned are resurrected and continue their eternal punishment in hell in mind and in the faculties of the senses. Naturally, any separation from Heaven and hell between relatives and friends is permanent:

The resurrection of all the dead, “of both the just and the unjust” (Acts 24:15), will precede the Last Judgment. This will be “the hour when all who are in the tombs will hear [the Son of man’s] voice and come forth, those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment” (John 5:28-29). Then Christ will come “in his glory, and all the angels with him. . . . Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. . . . And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life” (Matt. 25:31, 32, 46) .
CCC 1038

Hell is not something that God desires but something that a creature is capable of affecting upon themselves:

We cannot be united with God unless we freely choose to love him. But we cannot love God if we sin gravely against him, against our neighbor or against ourselves: "He who does not love remains in death. Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him."612 Our Lord warns us that we shall be separated from him if we fail to meet the serious needs of the poor and the little ones who are his brethren.613 To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God’s merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called “hell.”
CCC 1033

Peace.

Last edited:
I get that. I’m just wondering if the saved will witness this horror. Suppose, for example, a child or spouse ends up in hell. The saved parent/spouse is standing there before Jesus and gets to see the child or spouse return to hell with their resurrected body. How horrid to know they’ll never see them again. Ever. And if someone does go to hell before the Resurrection, I would imagine they’d regret their life choices. I wish there was a way for them to repent and be saved at the Resurrection. But what has been revealed is Divine Truth. I’m not questioning it. Just wishing it were different. I hope that’s not sinful. Thank you for discussing this.

I get that. I’m just wondering if the saved will witness this horror. Suppose, for example, a child or spouse ends up in hell. The saved parent/spouse is standing there before Jesus and gets to see the child or spouse return to hell with their resurrected body. How horrid to know they’ll never see them again. Ever. And if someone does go to hell before the Resurrection, I would imagine they’d regret their life choices.
At that time, those in Heaven will exist in the full presence of God, and such things won’t affect them the way it would affect you or I today. That can be a bit hard to hear, I know, but it’s true. We’re home and whole and complete when we’re in Heaven, forever. We won’t have the same outlook on things that we do now.

When we die, we are judged. Heaven, hell or purgatory. At the Resurrection, we’ll get our bodies back and the damned will go back to hell? Is that how it’s to work? Will the saved be witnessing their loved ones and friends and acquaintances return to hell? Has anyone heard a priest discuss this?
Hell is a state before the second resurrection since the dead bodies are not united with their souls.

we’ll get our bodies back and the damned will go back to hell?
No? You asked: “we’ll get our bodies back and the damned will go back to hell?”

Since hell is a state before resurrection but after with the soul and the body, a place.

I think about this too. It is hard to imagine being happy in heaven if your spouse, parent, child, and/or sibling is in hell. I have people I love with no faith and it makes me sad to think about. I mostly pray that won’t happen and try to trust in God.

Will the saved be witnessing their loved ones and friends and acquaintances return to hell?
Yes. And with exalted understanding of everything, it will be clear that God’s balance of justice and mercy is perfect. There will be no sorrow in Heaven.

Is that in the catechism? (hell being a state before the resurrection). Is Heaven also a state? Moot point, though, because that’s not what I was asking. The damned will go back to hell…hell being a state or place was irrelevant. It’s still hell, no?

It’s all we can do and talk to them if they’re open to it. We can also offer up fasts and sacrifices for them and trust in God’s mercy. It’s almost too much to even think about.

Is that in the catechism? (hell being a state before the resurrection). Is Heaven also a state? Moot point, though, because that’s not what I was asking. The damned will go back to hell…hell being a state or place was irrelevant. It’s still hell, no?
In terms of state, the transition that the dead could have is from purgatory to heaven since the particular judgment determines the state. So it it better to say that the damned remain in hell. Yet being resurrected there will also be a place for the resurrected body.

Catechism
1033 … To die in mortal sin without repenting and accepting God’s merciful love means remaining separated from him for ever by our own free choice. This state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed is called “hell.”

1024 … Heaven is the ultimate end and fulfillment of the deepest human longings, the state of supreme, definitive happiness.

997 What is “rising”? In death, the separation of the soul from the body, the human body decays and the soul goes to meet God, while awaiting its reunion with its glorified body. God, in his almighty power, will definitively grant incorruptible life to our bodies by reuniting them with our souls, through the power of Jesus’ Resurrection.

Last edited:
I get that. I’m just wondering if the saved will witness this horror. Suppose, for example, a child or spouse ends up in hell. The saved parent/spouse is standing there before Jesus and gets to see the child or spouse return to hell with their resurrected body. How horrid to know they’ll never see them again. Ever.
CS Lewis had a great response to this in the Great Divorce. A loved one cannot take away your eternal joy because they refuse to be joyful with you. If it were otherwise, those that willingly choose the torments of Hell could deny others the joy of heaven and that is intolerable. Hell does not get a casting vote over heaven, it is not powerful enough.

If you think that sounds harsh keep in mind that no matter how horrible it is for a parent to see their child refuse heaven, it is even worse for Christ.
And if someone does go to hell before the Resurrection, I would imagine they’d regret their life choices. I wish there was a way for them to repent and be saved at the Resurrection. But what has been revealed is Divine Truth. I’m not questioning it. Just wishing it were different. I hope that’s not sinful. Thank you for discussing this.
It’s not sinful to hope that the damned can be redeemed, no.

Last edited:
It’s not sinful to hope that the damned can be redeemed, no.
Yes.
In fact hope is a virtue and serves the good. Holding out hope for the depraved might cooperate in saving someone living who already believes they are beyond redemption. Hope is salvific.

Hope for the living to turn back to God before it’s too late, sure. But I was wondering if the damned (those in hell before the Resurrection) had a chance of being saved. I know they don’t. But I was just babbling. It’d be a nice thought but it contradicts everything I’ve learned of heaven, hell, purgatory, etc.

At the Resurrection, the damned won’t stand before God as well?
Yes.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
998 Who will rise? All the dead will rise, “those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment.” 552

552 Jn 5:29; cf. Dan 12:2.
Also:

1 Thess 4
16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the archangel’s call, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first; 17 then we who are alive, who are left, shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air; and so we shall always be with the Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back